PDA

View Full Version : Handleing on a 2.0L 16v & Turbo

krobinson
06-01-04, 03:24 PM
On some of the NI Forums i use, when a picture of a Valver/turbo (2.0L) Nova or corsa is posted, the majority of people always remark "oh, bet that go's well, in a STRAIGHT line" And basically take the piss..

So i want some info from valver and turbo owners to finally put this to rest.

Keith

Breeny
06-01-04, 03:31 PM
I hate mine.. it feels horrible. Bump steers and understeers too much. I do run mine too low though.

I can honestly say my blue one with monster truck wheels (18's) handled better. :!:

A lot of others will disagree I'm sure.

Then again I havn't driven it in such a long time, I've pretty much forgotton what it drives like lol.

so1o
08-01-04, 05:40 AM
For what i use my car for it handles good enough for me. I dont use the car on a track so it suits me the way it is. It does tend to understeer when entering a roundabout to fast. I use the cheapest of the cheap suspension kit, Gmax 35mm and it works fine for me. Even though it is quiet soft, over bumps you still tend to spin.

IMO, unless the cars going to be used on a track, suspension isnt really an issue. If you use it on a track then yes you will need to spend a lot of money on that area to get it good.

Solo

RJM25R
08-01-04, 08:44 AM
I have owned a few different cars, and I adjusted my driving style with each one. That is the key. With a powerful front-engined car, what you lose on the twisties you gain on the straights. But a valver and a turbo are a hoot to drive!

I'm currently driving a Pulsar GTI-R and it's quick as fuck but no fun. So what would you prefer? Quick but no soul (eg Impreza, GTI-R, Evo) or quick but "interesting" to drive????

Everyone who has these opinions "no handling" "shit on corners" have never owned one, just driven one once or twice (or never?) but make these judgements.

I used to go to WORK in mine sometimes with a fucking suit on and i once raced an Audi S3 (he had a suit on as well but thats the only thing we had in common!) and that left me on the roundabout but once we joined the dual carriageway I was all over him like stink on a shit!

Cheap as chips and as quick as a ?23,000 audi?

I wish i'd never broke my valver, put it that way!

Anybody wanna swap?

Dicko
08-01-04, 12:27 PM
this is the main reason i went for a 1.6 not a 2l. iv got coilovers, removed the arb and got some decent tyres and it flies round corners and still beats 2l 16v novas in a straight line :twisted:

Rick Draper
08-01-04, 01:35 PM
this is the main reason i went for a 1.6 not a 2l. iv got coilovers, removed the arb and got some decent tyres and it flies round corners and still beats 2l 16v novas in a straight line :twisted:

Put your car up against a 2ltr on TB's and there is not a chance it would beat that, hell even my old 2ltr engine cud beat a 1.6 as its not all down to BHP. Compairing a 2ltr to a 1.6 16v on TB's is like comparing a 2ltr to a 2ltr turbo. Also its possible to make 2ltrs handle very well, i never had any issues with the handling of mine, if you have problems then the springs are to soft and you dont have anti dave suspension geometry. Rick

krobinson
08-01-04, 05:40 PM
I have owned a few different cars, and I adjusted my driving style with each one. That is the key. With a powerful front-engined car, what you lose on the twisties you gain on the straights. But a valver and a turbo are a hoot to drive!

I'm currently driving a Pulsar GTI-R and it's quick as fcuk but no fun. So what would you prefer? Quick but no soul (eg Impreza, GTI-R, Evo) or quick but "interesting" to drive????

Everyone who has these opinions "no handling" "s**t on corners" have never owned one, just driven one once or twice (or never?) but make these judgements.

I used to go to WORK in mine sometimes with a fcuking suit on and i once raced an Audi S3 (he had a suit on as well but thats the only thing we had in common!) and that left me on the roundabout but once we joined the dual carriageway I was all over him like stink on a s**t!

Cheap as chips and as quick as a ?23,000 audi?

I wish i'd never broke my valver, put it that way!

Anybody wanna swap?

With posts like that, i think its only a matter of time till you build another ;)

Keith

Ian
08-01-04, 05:43 PM
you dont have anti dave suspension geometry. Rick

this help you avoid dave hay?

Rick Draper
08-01-04, 06:02 PM
you dont have anti dave suspension geometry. Rick

this help you avoid dave hay?

The mod was actually done by D-H-T. Rick

CP
08-01-04, 10:31 PM
Well I'm not a 2.0l owner but I cant resist making a comment :lol:

I could be talking bollox but has anyone actually gone to town on the suspension/handling set up for a 2.0l?cos if so I've not heard about it?Would I be right in thinking that most comp. stuff is based on smaller engined rally cars??

If this true then I would say its likely that we dont know how well a 2.0l can be made to handle.

To my way of thinking here's what needs to be played with:

1. Spring rates esp. the relationship rears vs fronts
2. Castor - turn in can considerably be improved by pulling the front wheels forward.
3. Heavy negative Camber - not practical for a road car
4. Wheel size
5. Tyre choice esp front vs rear compounds.
6. LSD

As has been said above you need to adapt driving style. Lifting off momentarily during understeer in a bend is very effective in creating enough oversteer to get the front end to bite.

RJM25R
09-01-04, 04:44 PM

Your throttle bodies cost more than my engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes and interior did put together!!

BUT I absolutely annihilated Ian Searles Nova with same engine in as you but with the MANTZEL gear on it instead of throttles (160bhp allegedly) in my own valver (my valver had chip, zaust, filter ran 178bhp at well lane) so the extra weight/handling etc. didn't seem to matter. I caned him!

As i commented earlier, it's about the DRIVING not just the car!