PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problems - Anyone witha suggestion

2litreturbo
06-01-04, 10:25 AM
I have been having a lot of trouble starting my nova recently. It has been getting worse too. When you turn the key it will turn over for ages but it wont fire. The only way I can get it to start is to connect a battery charger up to the coil directly (+ve to the coil ?ve to an earth (gearbox)). But once it has started it runs fine even after you disconnect the battery charger. So I know there is enough power going to the coil. I am just wondering if the starter motor could be drawing too much current when turning over so that not enough current going to the coil. The starter motor is only a few months old though. I also know it is not the battery as if you cahrge it up all night it still wont start and I even took the battery out of another two litre that starts fine everyday and it still wouldn?t start.

There is definitely petrol going to the engine too.

Anyone had this problem before?

jim sri
06-01-04, 12:13 PM
take your plugs out and clean them, get new set of leads, check distributor cap for excess wear.
this time of year, when the weather's damp perished leads will cause you problems.
what engine is it btw?

2litreturbo
06-01-04, 01:35 PM
c20seh

jim sri
06-01-04, 03:45 PM
could it be the amplifier module underneath the coil?
having not owned an seh lump i cant say for sure whether it has one or not though. other than that, if its turning over fine, you need to check fuel (you say ok), electrical+spark (coil, leads, plugs etc).
id try getting hold of a mates coil, or pick one up cheap and give that a go.

2litreturbo
06-01-04, 06:07 PM
nah no ignition module and already changed the coil. And i know it's getting fuel

Ben3042
06-01-04, 06:30 PM
WTF? you wired your coil up to a battery charger?

Your a mentalist!!!

2litreturbo
06-01-04, 08:48 PM
it does exactly the same as when you turn the ignition on. Except the voltage doesn't drop when you turn the engine over