PDA

View Full Version : Pierburg 2e3 rebuild

nova_rally
05-01-04, 05:53 PM
Right then, time to do something useful with this thing! How do you convert it so that both butterflies open together and not by vacumn?

How do I fiddle with the jetting after I've done that - It's gonna need some serious mixture and idle speed adjustments!

Haynes got anything good on it?

Anybody got a price on a manual choke conversion?

Alan

Snowface
05-01-04, 06:58 PM
i've got a manual choke conversion on mine that works a beauty. i got it for around ?60 + vat i think, can check.

As it happens i'm getting a weber 32/34 tomo so my 2e3 will be surplus if ur interested.

nova_rally
05-01-04, 07:08 PM
where was the conversion from?

How much do you want for the Pierburg? would be a good idea to practice before I destroy my car! :lol:

Alan

Snowface
06-01-04, 08:17 PM
I got it from my local parts place.
Cost me ?60 brand new which was 8-months ago. And the 2e3 cost me ?25 2nd hand and runs as sweet as candy. Got a spare gasket for it if you want it.

Say ?40 + postage. I'll weigh it tomo to find out what it'll cost to post. only a few ? first class i'd imagine.

Everything you need is in the kit, (including the choke cable unused) cause i used the cable that was already on my 1200 from the 1b1.

nova_rally
06-01-04, 09:28 PM
Ok great - I'm just checking which carb was on the Astra 1.3 manifold I have as If thats a 2e3 I'll just use that, gotta change the manifold on the 1.4 anyway so it would be a lot less hassle.

What exactly's in a manual choke kit? would it be possible to just use tha manual choke cables and stuff from any car that has Manual choke? (I have my old Mazda 121 lying around...)

As you can probably tell I'm on a very tight budget (garage bill of about ?600 waiting to drop on me, and even then the car won't be anywhere near finished :( )

Alan

nova_rally
06-01-04, 09:52 PM
Ok found the Astra Manifold - it's a 2e3, so I won't need 1, sorry guys! (unless of course I destroy both of them...! :lol: )

Now then, where's my Dremel... :twisted:

Alan

Snowface
06-01-04, 10:45 PM
the manual choke works by replacing the entire autochoke part of the 2e3, so no pipes or electric is needed for the carb.

It then converts it so u use it just like any old manual choke off a weber 32/34 or the 1b1 so when u pull choke on it opens up the butterfly valve on the first choke and raises the engine speed slightly. its fully adjustable aswell but i got it set up just right.

nova_rally
07-01-04, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the info - I think I'll have a go at making 1, doesn't seem too hard! I can always fiddle with the semi Automatic 1 from the mazda... (might be interesting trying to transplant the negine temp sensor!)

Anyway - thats the choke sorted - what about connecting the butterflies together, does anybody have some experience of this they could share before I blow something up? :lol:

Alan