PDA

View Full Version : getting rid of the i on 1.2i

totalnova
04-01-04, 07:37 PM
ive heard that the injection is not as good or fast as the carb version is this true as im new to this wot is involved in changing it and is it worth it :?:
thanks Nicky

Ben3042
04-01-04, 08:13 PM
The carbed 1.2 is 55bhp
The injected 1.2 is 45 bhp

Not sure whats quicker though but theres not much difference between them both if any at all

Adam Moran
04-01-04, 08:31 PM
Ive had both and the carb'ed nova defently felt faster.

Not very hard to change it.

take of old inlet manifold and put one on from a 1.2 carb'ed Nova with the carb

Sort out the loom (loads and loads of wires!)

http://volcano.photobucket.com/albums/v11/novaaj/pic09.jpg

MIGHT need a new exhaust manifold because of the lamba sensor (you could just leave it in i spose)

Then theres the choke cable and i dont think you will need the return fuel hose either.

Could be done over the weekend.

HTH

Ad

totalnova
04-01-04, 08:48 PM
ok thanks, i dont think that ill bother just yet doesnt realy feel like its worth doing but im may be wrong seems like abit of a job for me as ive just got into this thanks anyway.

scott.parker
04-01-04, 08:49 PM
if your gona put the carb system on you mayas well stick a 1.3 or 1.4 head on and that,the bottom ends the same..just dont tell your insurance.. :wink:

totalnova
04-01-04, 08:58 PM
would that make it a 1.3 or 1.4 then if i did that. i feel so stupid asking all these question but if u dont ask u dont learn

Snowface
04-01-04, 09:59 PM
For best results while keeping your car a 1200 is to put a carb (Pierburg 2e3) and manifold and if you can the camshaft, off a 1300 onto a 1200 carbed head as i 'think' the injection head you have is different. onto your 1200 block. And take out the catalytic converter in your exhaust system, or better still get a stainless steel system for a 1200 carb nova. All that will give you 10-15bhp increase.

Just by changing your zorst on ur 1.2i to one without a catalytic converter will give it a noticable power gain.

Putting a 1300 or 1400 head on won't make your car's engine capacity increase. you need to change the block to increase it. Or bore the one you got out a little.

Ben3042
04-01-04, 10:31 PM
Dont bother changing the head as the 1.2 head flows very well, match the inlet ports on the head to the ones on the inlet manifold.

Get the carb from a 1.3sr and the 1.3 inlet manifold + k&n filter
Camshaft from a gsi/gte as it has more lift
4 branch manifold and straight through system

There you go extra performance at very little cost.

totalnova
05-01-04, 05:02 PM
wot do you need to do to the loom as this is the part im worried about? do you have to change the whole lot?

Dpnova
05-01-04, 05:08 PM
TBH mate ive had both theres not that much difference. the i feels better when u put ur foot down. Its alot of work for not much of a gain

Euan
05-01-04, 05:25 PM
i have a pierburg 2e3 and a brand new k&n you can have for ?40 if you deceide to go ahead

Snowface
05-01-04, 06:47 PM
Dont bother changing the head as the 1.2 head flows very well, match the inlet ports on the head to the ones on the inlet manifold.

Get the carb from a 1.3sr and the 1.3 inlet manifold + k&n filter
Camshaft from a gsi/gte as it has more lift
4 branch manifold and straight through system

There you go extra performance at very little cost.

i don't think injection cams can fit carbed heads as they have a lobe that drives the fuel pump. and anyways the 1.4sr cam has the highest lift with 6.12mm on both valves in the cylinder.