PDA

View Full Version : Braking problems? should it be scrapped?

papalazaroo
04-01-04, 04:00 PM
:o
I am the owner of a yacky yellow, 1987, 5 door, 1.2 merit hatchback. With puddles in the footwells. This will be my 2nd Nova, my first being A495LUA. which was scrapped 10 years ago. The problem now with this car is that its begining to fall apart. I bought the car 3 years ago for ?400, and it costs me more in insurance a year than petrol. though i use ?20 a month petrol.

Today i was using the car for a little journey, when the brake pedal shot to the floor! then after 2 pumps brake pedal returned to normal. then went again about 6 miles down the road. though it returns to normal, this is not right! is the servo going on the brakes, there is no fluid loss! Should i just scrap it. what car do i get next????????? its got to be a diesel! i can't use the car in its present condition, the only journey the car will be making is the scrappers. :roll:

let me know if its worth saving

Mark
04-01-04, 05:44 PM
Don't scrap it yet if you still have tax and test left on it, get a new servo and chuck it on, they are cheap second-hand and easy to fit.

Dicko
04-01-04, 05:49 PM
sounds like servo or master cylinder. where in staffordshire?

mikeoxford
05-01-04, 12:48 AM
i had this before - might not be the cause of your problem, but for me it was......

rear shoes worn through COMPLETELY and also worn through the metal backing on top halves!!! so the rear cylinders were so far extended the pistons just shot out the ends, every pump of the pedal shot fluid in the drums :lol:

papalazaroo
06-01-04, 06:43 PM
:D found the problem with the car, it seems to be that the back nearside brake shoes are sticking slightly on. so this over a period of a few miles driving causes the drum to heat up and boil the brake fluid. thats why its going away and then returning as normal. I've always had problems with the rear brakes sticking as the car never gets used that much. and only on short journeys of 1/2 miles. only noticed the problem with a 20 mile journey. though a new car is now needed, as i can't trust it now.

many thanks

papalazaroo (Cheadle, staffs)