PDA

View Full Version : Nova gsi gear linkage?

Zak16v
02-01-04, 02:36 PM
Hey, i just put a early gsi engine into my nova a month ro so ago and ive been driving around with four gears.

I have been reading the haynes manual guide on setting up the gears to get 5th, but ive had no luck.

I have inserted the rod into the adjuster hole like it tells me to to an the notch is all lined up on the transmition tunnel, all gears are fine but when i try to shift to fith it wont happen, the stick doesnt even move to the right into the 5th gear gate, it feels as if its hitting something and it wont go in!

I need help to get this set up cause im sick of laughing of the vtrs then watching them leave me at 80 thinkin im flat out!

CHeers in advance guys!

Chris S
02-01-04, 03:41 PM
if the car left the factory with a 4 speed box, there should be a plastic lug under the gear gator that wants grindin off

mark_GSi
02-01-04, 03:51 PM
just make sure it ant catching on the starter motor part of mine was :?

epo
02-01-04, 10:23 PM
will it not even go in2 gear if u push the gear stick down like ur going in2 revers but on the oposite site if u get what i mean

novashed
02-01-04, 11:08 PM
try manually putting the selector in reverse and then inside the car and bolt up clamp nut like that instead of the haynes method, did mine like this

dathers
03-01-04, 01:32 AM
Haynes manual way is the best way,works 1st time every time if you do it right.
If it used to be a four speed box it needs a bit of plastic gringing off,lift the rubber gearstick gaitor off,try to put it in 5th and you will see what needs cutting off.
Dave

Adam Moran
03-01-04, 11:43 AM
defently the plastic lug on the gear stick.

Same thing happened to mine when we did the transplant.

Just cut it off with a hack-saw - problem solved!

Ad

Zak16v
03-01-04, 02:29 PM
Nah its not the plastic lug touching the transmission tunnel guys, the stick is stopping well before that comes into contact with anything! :( ????

Mark
03-01-04, 02:38 PM
Did you use the box from the GSi?

Zak16v
03-01-04, 02:50 PM
Yeah mate it is the oem gsi gearbox