PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Down

doberman8386
02-01-04, 10:58 AM
Im about to start to sand my car down for it to be resprayed but need to know the grits of the paper to start with, could you please tell me what I need to start with and finish with in other words could some one please give me a quick guide just so I can make the respray as cheap as possible.

Cheers

olly55
02-01-04, 03:29 PM
u dnt need to worry so much about diff grits of paper, as ur having a repaint done you will only need to scotch it down t okey the panels in oreder for the new paint to stick so jus get a good quality of scotching paper and rub away lol

rob_wilkinson
02-01-04, 03:53 PM
Any little bits of rust need rubbing back to bright metal and feathering out so use P60/80 or once painted over they will come through and spider out. Then rub all the egdes and recesses like round the windows with 240 or the paint wont bond there. Then go over large pannels with a D.A if you have one with 240 again.

NovaNeil
04-01-04, 08:04 PM
Yeah rub the car down with 240 grade wet & dry. But some people strangely think you have to take the paint off completely or go down to the primer...... :roll: This ISN'T the case, just rub it down enough so that the paint work becomes dull, anymore than that and you'll just be wasting your time. The reason for this is you just need a rough base for the primer to stick to.... As said above.

Don't forget to use the sandpaper wet!!! It may sound obvious to most, but some will just start rubbing there car with it dry.

Ben3042
04-01-04, 09:15 PM
Once you finished, make sure you give it a good check because any slight imperfections will show up ALOT worse once the car is painted.