PDA

View Full Version : Wet Carpets :?

cassanova
01-01-04, 03:52 PM
Hi every1 that remembers me (and those that dont). Havent been on for ages, but i was hoping i could get some advice off people....

Both the drivers floor, pass. floor, and apparently the back seat (according to some bird) are wet, and the whole car feels damp all the time. Has any1 had this problem before??

It seems to have coincided with the heater not working 100%, but that could be my imagination. Any help will be mucho greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Ford

Dicko
01-01-04, 04:01 PM
leaking heater matrix. does it smell a bit funny as well?

cassanova
01-01-04, 04:13 PM
sumtimes yeah, my car never smells too good tho lol

thanx for the reply, is there a way of resolving that without too much effort?

Cheers
Ford

cassanova
01-01-04, 04:37 PM
i just had a feel under the heater matrix but its dry there, the main patches are more or less inline with the edge of the seats

does any of that make sense?

cassanova
01-01-04, 05:26 PM
after pulling up the carpet it seems to be coming down the inside of the front wheelarch in line with where the drainage holes are under the bonnet, sooooooo ive poked some hose down there to open it up a bit and drilled a hole in the underside of my skirts cos the water was just gathering in there, it all seems to be flowing properly now, will haveta see what happens over the next few days.

Thanx for the suggestions
Ford

locky
01-01-04, 05:38 PM
Check the inside, right under the dash, where the bulkhead of the engine bay would meet. i found a big rusty patch on mine! i think thats where im getting water from!

cassanova
01-01-04, 05:46 PM
cheers mate, hope to fuck its not a rusting bulkhead tho lol

Ford

Euan
01-01-04, 05:47 PM
i have the same problem as well!

just cant find where its getting in, the drivers footwell is soaked.

my battery tray is a bit shitty but doesnt have any holes in it! its as if the metal is porous or sumthin :?

locky
01-01-04, 06:07 PM
If its rusty itll seep through! check u got the hole sealed up where the wires go through the bulkhead!

cassanova
01-01-04, 06:52 PM
the bugger with it is, once you try something, uve gotta wait a few days to see if the bastard dries out. :|

Euan
01-01-04, 06:56 PM
think i might just weld a plate onto the battery tray and direct all the water down the drainage hole see if that stop it!

m.d.
02-01-04, 08:10 PM
mine was leaking through where the wiring loom comes through the bulkhead into the car on the passanger side. nothing that a shit load of silicon sealer and some paint didnt sort tho

masterclarkson
04-01-04, 01:04 PM
I've had a similar problem. Water under the dash and small amounts in the footwells.

Does anyone find their windows steam up on the inside (lol). Mine does and when its really cold i'm sure that it will be icy there as well.

papalazaroo
04-01-04, 03:44 PM
yes this is a common problem, in the 2 cases of nova's i've owned its the hole in the bulkhead, check aslo underneath your battery, usually a big hole there too. good luck.

cassanova
04-01-04, 11:28 PM
Right, i spent today taking out the carpets and the underlay stuff (which was fuckin drenched, was dripping as i took it out), and then stood for 20mins with a hose pouring water over the doors and windscreen etc. to watch for where it came in.....

The drivers side was the hole that the wires pass thru next to the battery, i know there used to be a rubber plug in there but i took it out when i put my amp power through there so ive sealed that up nicely...

The passenger side is a bit stranger, its coming from the drainage hole under the bonnet (the opposite side to the battery). It seems that if i pour water straight down there, it pisses into the passengers footwell, BUT when i put some heater hose down the hole as far as it would go, and then poured water down there, there wasnt a problem. I just need to find a way of fixing the hose in place in a way that it will still catch the water.

Ive sorta answered my own question now but i hope it helps every1 else.

Cheers
Ford

ade
05-01-04, 07:15 PM
mine did and still does do this. however mine came from the indicatro light wires - dripped through into the cabin due to the grommet missing.

cant be arsed removing wing to fix it so have just shoved some towling up the side of the dash.

i know you said you fixed it but check the rubber door seals too - there maybe a split - especially if part of the rear seats are wet...