PDA

View Full Version : Unable to fill

Mark
31-12-03, 10:54 AM
Lately, and it seems to be getting worse, I am having difficulty filling my petrol tank, it's got to a point that I have to dribble the fuel in and twice now, the petrol pump has shut off it took so long....I was wondering if the tank breather is blocked, with this have this effect?

Standard carb tank btw.

mikeoxford
31-12-03, 11:03 AM
i would have thought it was the most obvious answer yes. nothing else really i can think of.

Mark
31-12-03, 11:06 AM
Well I thought it might be, but I have no idea where the breather pipe actually goes..

mikeoxford
31-12-03, 11:09 AM
from what ive ever managed to see, it goes from the tank in a similar location to the filler pipe, and it takes the same path of the big filler hose all the way to your rear quater panel. right behind the filler cap. i would assume that novas have vented petrol caps? and the vent is actually in the cap / filler neck itself, could be wrong though.

Mark
31-12-03, 11:13 AM
Guess I'll be having a look then, thanks Mike.

CP
31-12-03, 06:40 PM
The breather pipe goes down thru the rear quarter behind the drivers side door pillar and into a breather system on the front drivers side of the tank. There is another breather which vents to the passenger side to equalise air pressures within the tank as the fuel surges from side to side. The breather gets in shit order near the tank

Its not a particularly easy job cos there's not much room to work in.

novax
31-12-03, 06:52 PM
Vauxhall sell the new hose by the metre, so a couple of metres to be sure will do. It's not that cheap either so you might get lucky at a motor factors instead. Mine's the same but as it's off the road in a couple of weeks for the new engine, i will drop the tank and run the new one then.