PDA

View Full Version : Building engine..

krobinson
30-12-03, 04:30 PM
I've got the cash waiting now to build my 1.3 engine back together. I'm building it pretty much standard as i plan a bigger engine in the future. However i want to replace anything that may give problems.

So i'm ordering new valve stem oil seals, head bolts, full gasket set, oil pump and water pump. And i'm having the head skimmed, ported and polished.

Should i replace anything else to ensure the engine run's as good as possible?

It will have a 32/34 webber and 4 branch when finished.

Also, any good books on engine building? as i may attempt it myself...

Keith

rysmee
30-12-03, 06:29 PM
how much cash are you looking to spend?
if youve got enough you can get good power from that little engine.
have you stripped it right down? eg: taken pistons and crank out?
if you have then it may be worth getting it all lightened and balanced.
its worth getting new bolts for pretty much everything - especially the exhaust manifold - they will look alot better and will be so much easier to do up and get off again in the future.
who are you getting to do your head? and how much? have you considered enlarging the valves?
what about a cam? not too lairy of course. theres so much you can do and you'd be amazed how complicated buliding a simple engine can get!

krobinson
30-12-03, 06:37 PM
I only have a budget of about ?300 to build the engine. I already have the webber and manifold.

I can get the gaskets, head bolts and valve stem oil seals from www.tuning.co.uk quite cheap. I'll get the manifold bolts new from vaux, along with the 2 pumps. I think the total for all this will be around ?180?

A local engineering firm will skim the head for ?20, havent got a price for port & polish yet. I really havent a cash to go mad on the engine, i just want it built so its reliable and clean.

Keith

krobinson
30-12-03, 06:39 PM
taken pistons and crank out?
if you have then it may be worth getting it all lightened and balanced

The block is complete.. but the rest of the engine is stripped. I have cleaned out the block so you could eat your dinner off it, and then oil'd it all up again to stop it seizing..

Would it cost much to lighten and balance the bottom end? and is it worth doing without doing much to the rest of the engine?

Keith

peester
30-12-03, 06:48 PM
Would it cost much to lighten and balance the bottom end? and is it worth doing without doing much to the rest of the engine?

Keith

as long as bottom end has been cleaned/reconditioned/looked at/whatever i wouldn't worry bout it; before you know it you'll be spending more than you wanted to by being promised good gains etc.. as you sed do it clean, reliable youre cars far far too clean to have it thrashed about anyways; then save and build that ultimate next engine you want to get whatever it'll be.

krobinson
30-12-03, 07:06 PM
I'm going to order the oil pump tomorrow..

Out of this list, what should i replace? Everything? or are there only certain things would need replaced?

http://uploader.co.uk/images/oil_pump.jpg

mc_hawkings
30-12-03, 11:16 PM
just replace the pump its wiser! think there ?60

why go to vauxhall when you can try autovaux.co.uk

When doing you bottom end getting a machine shop to build the block back up should should ?80 ?100. So building it yourself should be a bit cheaper

what you'll need is
?30 a cylinder hone, ie ruffing of the walls for rings wearing in

new pistons come with rings & gucheon pins ?30 a piston

?30 crank regrind, depends how worn it is otherwise there'll just polish it up

?25 crank shells, ?25 conrod shells, ?10 bearing bolts (stretch bolts) ?10 conrod bolts stretch bolts.

gasket set ?50

ps: the crank caps are numbered with dots corrosponding with piston so mark them as they need to be refitted in order

so thats of the top of my head around ?330 without them building ?210 without pistons. But additional costs occur so go a bit over ?350 just incase

you'll need to take the block to them so they can check sizes for the above

any questions

mikeoxford
30-12-03, 11:37 PM
i rebuilt my engine compltetely (with the aid of stu for bits i hadnt done before!)

id do it yourself if your confident. all id say is keep everything clean. and keep cleaning it, even if you dont think it needs it! oil everything when putting together with fresh oil. both sides of shells, crank contact points, dip the pistons in oil till they fill up and then empty them so you know the rings have had a good soak etc etc.

the VITAL part is the correct toruqe of all the bits n pieces.

mc_hawkings
30-12-03, 11:54 PM
i forgot that bit :(

then theres the 1000 mile run in!
in the first 50miles go up steep hills in a low gear stepping on & off the gas so the rings build up a vacuum seal.

keep it to 50mph
keep it below 3500rpm for the first 500 take it easy

then change oil & filter. cleans out debrie left over from new bits of metal wearing together

then take it a bit more 4k fine

no motor way driving as you need different speeds & overheating to wear it in constant speed will not wear properly

mowgli
31-12-03, 08:38 AM
why are you going to tuners for standard bits???

A decent motor factor will get you the stuff.
you can buy an oil pump recon kit, it has the gears & seals + a new spring. new bearings & rings won't be much either.

Use the haynes & you should get her back together easily.

If your engine has done a lot of miles, get the bores measured, oversize rings might be needed.

clean or replace the breather. if you have time, dismantle the hydraulic lifters and give them a really good clean out. It can be done, and its suprising how much muck can get in them over time.

krobinson
31-12-03, 02:46 PM
I had a talk to a local engine genius. He told me everything that he can do, and we went through prices etc.

Cant remember everything, but basically he's going to recon the head, recut the valves, new valve guides, valve stem oil seals, polish etc etc, (theres more but cant fully remember)

bottom end, honed, new pistons, crank re-ground, everything lightened and balanced including flywheel, new oil pump, new water pump.

Cost for the head about ?250, bottom end about ?450 including the new pumps. Then he's also gonna dry build it, check everything, then build properly, set the timing, set up the webber carb etc at a cost of around ?100...

Theres some other costs (gaskets, head bolts etc), but now i'm gonna save 1k, and then leave the engine down, supply him with the parts, and there should be some change. The engine should be like new, with a little added power because it will breath better, the webber and my new 4 branch..

I'm a happy man..

Keith

mc_hawkings
31-12-03, 09:10 PM
bit expensive for a top end rebuild.

to cut valves & skim head cost me ?80 followers just drop them in some oil overnight

?31 for new rocker arms

to check valve guides put a valve in & hold it, rock it back & forth with your hand if its more than 1mm might be more, you should need new ones.

so thats ?111, ..........?250 i'd expect alot more

port & polish ring bill blystien for a quote

shop around bottom end sounds good as he's building it to so thats ?80 or ?100

Don't get roped in by the grandad smile & worthers moments shop around !!!

krobinson
01-01-04, 03:26 PM
No i've known this guy for a while. He's been building amazing mini engines for years. Also does V-tech honda's etc, and he writes up tips on one of our local forums.

As for the head, there is other work he's doing, but i cant remember every detail from our conversation. But he says i'll be left with a fit, clean, smooth engine, that should embaress any standard 1.3/1.4SR because they will have lost power over time. Not that i'm one for racing, if i was then i'd do alot more to the engine!

Keith

dathers
01-01-04, 11:42 PM
just seems like a lot of money to spend on a 1.4.
you can get a Genuine vauxhall rebuilt engine on tradeclub for way less than a grand.
Dave

mc_hawkings
02-01-04, 12:22 PM
how much then dathers

Ste_Nova
02-01-04, 01:14 PM
that should embaress any standard 1.3/1.4SR because they will have lost power over time. Not that i'm one for racing, if i was then i'd do alot more to the engine!

Keith

apart from mine is rebuilt and modded :P

dathers
03-01-04, 01:21 AM
I can get a price for you if interested.
Its exchange so you would have to give your block and head.
Ill get you a price tomoz and find out what you have to give back.
Where abouts are you?
Dave

Gunzi
03-01-04, 12:05 PM
I think that you should buy yourself a GTE / GSI engine for ?150-?200 get someone to bung that in and save youself ?600-?700 As a full rebuild sounds very expensive - its not that much more expensive to insure (unlikely to be more than ?600 more!)