PDA

View Full Version : My new rear brace..

krobinson
30-12-03, 03:36 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2449013598&ed=1072401202000&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOT:UK:3

Got this rear brace off ebay, and i'm not sure wot to make of it now, i'm not overly impressed!

I have to bend the ends to match the shape of my inner arch, and then drill it in. I think it sits way too far back to have any effect? What you guy's think? I've already mailed them complaining... I wanted a Strut mounted one like on the ebay pic, and if not, one that bolts just below the strut top..

I havent bothered drilling any holes yet.., this is it sitting in place, as tight in as i can get it..

http://uploader.co.uk/images/rearbrace.jpg

Mark
30-12-03, 03:52 PM
Won't that just bend the arches in that position??

Looks to be placed at the weakest point...

Ste_Nova
30-12-03, 04:18 PM
did you pay more than ?5?

krobinson
30-12-03, 04:19 PM
lol.. yes...

I realise i've been done, but it isnt the same as the pic on ebay.. so e-mail of complaint away...

essexrudeboy
30-12-03, 04:30 PM
i fort the whole point was to stiffen up the struts, hence - strut brace!
ive been trying to buy one but none of the big companies seem to make a specific nova one!

Ste_Nova
30-12-03, 04:44 PM
ive been trying to buy one but none of the big companies seem to make a specific nova one!

yeh cause you don't need a rear one

?Marty?
30-12-03, 04:45 PM
yea, looks like you have been had mate.

I'm sure on the add it stated "product suplied may vary in fittments and look from that pictured", in which case there's nothing you can do.

fuckers! And what seemed like a bargain too. Best bet was to just go to an engineers and get them to make one for you. It's only a tube with some correct fittings, so you could have it fit in whatever way you want. And get them to polish it up too.

I have the fmd one, tho i think it's probably more for show. Plus it's the one that mounts over the top of the struts, rather than on to the turret thing (think they've changed the design now?) so if i was in a crash and had my harnesses attached to it, it could shear off and stick in the back of my head! Looks brilliant though. lol

epo
30-12-03, 04:46 PM
i fort the whole point was to stiffen up the struts, hence - strut brace!

thats what i thought

as 4 findin a strut brace u tried demon tweeks
thought sparco omp + a few others made em

krobinson
30-12-03, 04:55 PM
Think i'll use it as a stick to beat up the guys that made it at the show's they say they attend...

And then i'll go to my local engineers and have one made up...

Can you get me some good pics of yours marty?

Keith

Bilbo ballbaggins
30-12-03, 05:10 PM
u could just shorten it yourself if you can weld

krobinson
30-12-03, 05:22 PM
Nah, feck it..

its for the bin..

Jules
30-12-03, 05:31 PM
so if i was in a crash and had my harnesses attached to it, it could shear off and stick in the back of my head! Looks brilliant though. lol

I also think it'd look brilliant wedged into the back of your noggin!!!

jk!!!

?Marty?
30-12-03, 05:33 PM
Can you get me some good pics of yours marty?

Not at the moment, lent my digital camera (Canon ixus 400 - pretty good) to my mate two months ago, and he's still ''not finished with it'' :evil:

Fearless will probably have some pics, as him and Brett are the one's that are FMD and supply them. ?125.

However, it's something that an engineers could VERY easily make up and for less than they will want (sorry guys).

In fact, once you've had yours made up, why not offer them up for sale, as if you're correct on the "none of the big companies seem to make them for novas" is correct, there will be a market/demand for them.

Though as Ste says, novas dont really need them for the rear. But they DO look good though. Plus the rear seats are part of the 'keeping the rear stiff' thing, so if you remove them i assumed you would be better of fitting a rear strutbrace to prevent some of the rear chassis flex that you may then get?

karl Rowntree
30-12-03, 07:05 PM
Have you tried scarzy, keith? Hes a friend of andys and has posted on here and on mig. He has not long set up a company (MPS i think) making strut braces cages etc.

He would be able to do you a custom one in polished alloy, and i know he currently has a design for the rear of the nova.

PM andy and he will be able to give you his contact details.

Hope that helps mate.

krobinson
30-12-03, 08:21 PM
Cheers karl..

First things first.. getting this piece of stevie wonder engineering back to stevie's workshop for a refund!

Keith

Ian
30-12-03, 08:31 PM
i recently sold my fmd one to rick draper too lol

fmd ones are just for show though and it held out ok in my crash marty

fearless
30-12-03, 08:53 PM
These are the latest design

http://uploader.co.uk/images/brettnovashoot4.jpg

karl Rowntree
30-12-03, 10:03 PM
Dave, are you doing them in as shown in the same diameter as the cages or is it a smaller diameter?

I asked brett if i would be able to get one done the same as his but he said the one on his car is a one-off.

Might be intrested if they match the cage.

Cheers mate.

fearless
30-12-03, 10:08 PM
10 mm less than the cage diameter - but its not that noticable when in the car - Martin Kelson's got one in his - more suitable to fit if u have a false floor apparently !!!!

karl Rowntree
30-12-03, 10:25 PM
I remember measuring up, and the larger diameter wouldnt clear the false floor as it is at the moment, but i planned to either do away with the floor or lower it.

I will get back to you dave if i decide to get one mate. But dads into alloy welding at the mo so i might try and knock up something different.

Thanks. Karl

dan16v
30-12-03, 11:30 PM
Dave can you produce your cages with out the diagnols, ie full interior and std seat belt use? atm it looks like ill have to get an mps one

fearless
30-12-03, 11:34 PM
Cages are available without diagonals, and will fit in with/without factory sunroof, with/without rear seats and u can still use standard seatbelts if u wish !!

dan16v
30-12-03, 11:37 PM
realy! Dave could you pm me a phone number or/and price for a diagnoless cage for a non sunroofed nova! dont want to roll the let with out a cage :?

Ste_Nova
31-12-03, 09:46 AM
realy! Dave could you pm me a phone number or/and price for a diagnoless cage for a non sunroofed nova! dont want to roll the let with out a cage :?

it's not fia approved dan and i don't think anyome has rolled a nova with one in (i did offer to roll a car with one in but brett didn't take me up onm the offer!)... and cause the cage is univeral it's a bit low on the roof in a non sunroof car... i'm sure dave will confirm

Ian
31-12-03, 12:27 PM
im sure brett has said that someone did roll one and was ok, plus you cant get any fia approved chrome ones so fia doesnt really matter if thats what you are after

Ste_Nova
31-12-03, 12:38 PM
fia cages can be finished anyway you want as long as the approval sticker is still on

locky
31-12-03, 04:43 PM
FIA approved or not, if it aint safe they wouldnt sell them!
Same as the seat harnesses for example, would a company like sparco sell non FIA aprroved belts if they wernt safe?

Ste_Nova
31-12-03, 05:04 PM
they have to show E approval like the standard belts

fmd cages are the same as clear rear lights/fancy plates... show use only... use on the road is at your own risk etc etc

?Marty?
01-01-04, 09:03 PM
yea but they look the shiznitz!

Tilly
01-01-04, 10:50 PM
LOL @ stevie wonder technology

?Marty?
02-01-04, 02:59 AM
^^^ yeah i found that funny as fuck too!

'stevie wonder technology sent back to sevie wonder for refund' ! lmao

krobinson
02-01-04, 10:36 AM
Stevie wonder isnt just a singer these days,

he does bodywork
" who painted ur car? stevie wonder???? :lol: "

Driving school
"Where'd you learn to drive? the stevie wonder school of driving??? :lol: "

He designs bodykits for delta too!

All i can say is he must be worth a fortune!

:wink:

Phil GTE
02-01-04, 11:11 AM
He designs bodykits for delta too!

Lmao. After finishing a car;

"Isn't she lovely."

No she is not Steve.

RJM25R
03-01-04, 06:45 PM
what, like stevie wonder ringing "fast car" magazine??

"I just called, to say, SAXO'S SUCK!"

Do you think it would make it to no. 1?

Fester
03-01-04, 06:55 PM
sorry for slightly off-topic

am I right in thinking when youre fitting a strut brace (thinking primarily of the front here but dont see why this doesnt apply to the back) are you supposed to remove the wheels/carious suspension components and then add the brace, so as the brace is attached to the shell with no stresses already on it in those positions so that the geometry is locked in as far to standard as possible?

locky
03-01-04, 06:58 PM
^^good question! A sensible one from Fester! and on the weekend! :P

Didnt realise Stevie Wonder was a man of so many talents PMSL

krobinson
03-01-04, 07:26 PM
sorry for slightly off-topic

am I right in thinking when youre fitting a strut brace (thinking primarily of the front here but dont see why this doesnt apply to the back) are you supposed to remove the wheels/carious suspension components and then add the brace, so as the brace is attached to the shell with no stresses already on it in those positions so that the geometry is locked in as far to standard as possible?

When doing this at the front, yes. The rear i'm not so sure, as a rear brace isnt supposed to have much effect on the rear. I wanted it mainly for show, but wot i recieved is just pants, and looks it too.

Keith