PDA

View Full Version : Cam for a Turbo Engine advice

NovaNeil
29-12-03, 08:26 PM
OK, I've got a question for all you Turbo loving guru's.......

As you might know I have a 1.6 8v Turbo. Which is nearly perfect apart from one little problem.... The power peaks far too early for me.... As in 5400rpm. And by 6000rpm its tailed right off to below 100bhp :cry:

After speaking to my local tuning company, they suggested 2 ways in which I could move the power up the rev range.
The first being to fit a Hybrid or bigger Turbo. This is because the boost tails off hence causeing the drop in power, whereas a bigger or hybrid Turbo would be able to sustain the boost longer (but I can't afford this option).
The second is of course to fit a high lift cam.... Nothing with a silly duration, just one with enough to move peak power to around 6000rpm.

Can anyone offer advice on this topic? eg: What Duration would be best? Will it work well with a Turbo Engine? and will I need anything additional (like Vernier)?

I am not perticulary interested in gaining more bhp, and I know I will loose some mid-range torque so is this the right option?

Thanks for any advice/info

Neil

beghy
29-12-03, 10:06 PM
get 14NV cam it has the highest lift(6.12mm on both side)!

Snowface
30-12-03, 06:20 PM
i don't think that will fit as its out af a 1.4sr.
have a look here http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=85351

NovaNeil
31-12-03, 06:12 PM
Whats the Standard GSi Cam Duration??? Can't find my Haynes manual to have a look.

CP
31-12-03, 06:28 PM
Can't find my Vizard book but as far as I can remember increases in lift and duration are good but overlap isnt.

I would imagine to get anything suitable you'd have to ask Kent or Piper to do you which would be pricey.

You prolly dont want to hear this but i would save your pennies and get a bigger turbo cos thats the real problem. If your turbos not pumping enough boost cos its at the limit then having a diff. cam aint gonna help to the extent you are after.

If you fit a bigger turbo you can always dump excess boost

beghy
01-01-04, 02:49 PM
CP in reality its the best thing to do but i think neil wants a CHEAP N CHEERFUL mod, fitting a bigger turbo or a hybird unit is easily in the ?600 - ?800 mark. I personally would fit a newish 14NV cam and see what happens and also play with the cam timing and retard the igntion im sure this should push the powerband up!

NovaNeil
01-01-04, 04:49 PM
Cheers guys. Yeah I would like a Hybrid but I can't afford it. Whereas as ?175 will get me nice Piper/Kent cam....... But you reckon go for a second hand 14NV cam instead?

locky
01-01-04, 05:19 PM
Are you running a standard cam ATM?

cmatty
01-01-04, 05:44 PM
Neil when I had my turbo rebuilt last summer I had a 360 degree thrust bearing fitted and the turbo housing was enlarged (does that make mine a hybrid??). I didnt notice my power move up the rev range, the only difference was that my boost stopped tailing off towards 5000rpm. Also Ive been thinking of cam for my 1.6 turbo and was gonna enquire about having a standard cam reprofiled. Don't velos motorsport make custom cams?

NovaNeil
02-01-04, 12:56 PM
Yes I am running a standard cam at the moment.
Yes I think that would make yours a hybrid...... Usually a Hybrid is where you mix and match the Compressor and Turbine eg: T25 Compressor with a T3 Turbine... That sort of thing I think.
I didn't know Velo's reprofiled cams..... I'll give them a ring.
What about the Courtenay cam? Don't they make a special Turbo Cam??? Again i'll give them a ring today too.

Have you ever had yours on the dyno cmatty?

cmatty
02-01-04, 06:49 PM
134 at the wheels@9psi at Novatech this summer when it was hot but i dont think thats right. I hopefully will be getting wolf3d management in the next few months from a friend of friend who is trying to become a woldf3d dealer.

NovaNeil
07-01-04, 05:16 PM
So will it be advantagous to fit the 14NZ cam? Will it fit the GSi?

Anymore comments suggestion very welcome please............

cheers,

Neil

beghy
08-01-04, 02:03 AM
NO... not 14NZ you want 14NV, these are found on astra n nova 1.4 carb model

NovaNeil
09-01-04, 12:33 PM
Cheers beghy, I'll see if I can find one and let you know how I get on. To change the cam timing I need a Vernier.... I haven't seen anywhere that makes one for the GTE/GSi. Demon tweeks just says that do one for the 1.3 Nova/Astra and 1.8 + 2.0 of course. I''ll have to phone them