PDA

View Full Version : Herbie

DarkNovaRacerII
29-12-03, 07:12 PM
Anyone remeber the film herbie/y the car that has a mind of its own? Wel my novas transformed i jus fitted some new alloys now when driving and braking the car pulls hard to the left, i went today to get the tracking done but they told me that tracking wouldn't help as my novas lowered 60mm any ideas what it could be? any help is much obliged

2litreturbo
29-12-03, 07:26 PM
it is definately the tracking. had same problem, so got tracking done and wheels balanced and it went away straight away.

DarkNovaRacerII
29-12-03, 08:12 PM
ok thanks mate stupid mechanics ill get it done in another garage in the morning thanks

locky
29-12-03, 08:44 PM
Also are thw wheels wider than the old ones? if so, you may find itll "raiload" a bit when braking! usually at traffic lights n busy junctions!

ade
30-12-03, 01:20 AM
are the wheels the right offset (45-49)?

If not they'll also pull to one side (tramline). Scary feeling - you goto brake and the wheel suddenly jerks one way then wobbles the other!

If you get bad vibration through the wheel when accelerating then its tracking/balancing - also camber - you mentioned that its lowered 60mm - thi'll result in the wheel leaning in approx 7mm (I think) - which means youre putting pressure on the inner edge of the tyre making the wear faster. Mine lasted 6 months (mad bendy roads up by me mind!).

You can adjust the camber by drilling two new holes in the strut top and moving the mounts out about 7mm (there was a guide but its gone) - may need to reweld old holes over though for strength.

Also changing the wheel may have dislodged something in the brakes - causing them to stick - doubtful but worth checking.

I also was told cant track when car is lowered - gives false readings due to camber or summut.

ade