PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank prob

Euan
29-12-03, 03:25 PM
Today i began to take the fuel tank off my sri donar to put on ma sr. however when i got it off i've found a bit of a rusty hole (5cm) there was a long steel cylinder going into it (on the side of the tank that you fill it up) anyway i dont suppose a fuel tank with a hole in it is much use?

so was wondering if i can use my sr tank in any way cus its in perfect condition or am i looking at having to buy a new injection tank?

2litreturbo
29-12-03, 03:31 PM
how many pipes are going from the tank to the engine? if there is only one, you will need a new tank, but if there are two, you can use it, but it wont have a swirl pot in it. That means that if you have less than 1/4 tank and go round a tight corner, the engine will be starved of fuel for a few seconds as the pump is pumping air instead. You could get an external swilr pot from demon tweeks or somewhere like that.

Euan
29-12-03, 05:29 PM
cheers mate. it has a fuel return pipe on it i think.

although there 3 pipes coming out of my sri tank i think.

1. out the back conneted to fuel pump
2.at the front going to engine
3.a smaller 1 on top right of the tank.

will all these go into the sr tank?

also will i still have to swap over the fuel lines.

cheers

brian
29-12-03, 06:17 PM
best get another SRi tank or a GTE/GSi tank. otherwise you won't have a swirl pot in the sr one causing the car to splutter and stall around around corners. its the easiest think to bolt back up the same type tank again anyway as you won't have to mess with the fuel lines

Euan
29-12-03, 07:00 PM
it might be worth me just gettin the external swirl pot though cus it will be hard for me to find a suitable tank in a scrappy around my area.

2litreturbo
29-12-03, 07:26 PM
if like you say you have a return pipe going to the tank, then they will be different sizes. The small one will be the return from the fuel rail and the large one on the tank will go thru the fuel pump to the engine.

You will not need to replace the fuel lines (unless they are damaged) but i do recomment changing all the flexible rubber pipes. Also, you will need new rubber pipe anyway to go from the tank to the pump and back to the start of the fuel lines.

any more questions pm me as i was in the same situation as you.

brian
29-12-03, 08:19 PM
ya that would be ok

Aragorn
29-12-03, 10:46 PM
yo mate

im running a similar setup - 1.2 carb tank with gte pump in the usual place

it works fine untill u get to <1/4 tank at which point it dies everytime u go round a corner with any effort at speed

if your still up for selling me that interior then u could take a gander at mine?

Euan
30-12-03, 01:12 PM
yeh the interior is still yours mate. when do you want come get it?