PDA

View Full Version : FAO any renault clio mechanic know how person...

Neil.
28-12-03, 01:49 AM
I know this should be on tech but it aint a nova and i need urgent help on it.

Ive just got a 1.2 Clio, 1991 J reg.

Wen i drive along and going downa hill and come to a halt, i slow down slowly and then wen i stop the car will stall, then ill start it and it'll run. it only stall going DOWN hill, its fine with up hill or flat. The car does seem to tick over a little bit funny and throaty, gurlgly.

The heaters dont blow warm air, they blow on all speeds but just no warm air comes out. all connections on switches are fine and fuse is fine. SOme one said about taking hose off wate rbottle and heat in side of engine and pouring boiling water down it and having blowers on and seeing if warm air comes out? would thi help and where would the pipes be i remove?

and tappets are really loud, i am going to give it a full oil change soon so will that help the sound of them tapping being so loud?

Thanks for any help anyone!

Neil

epo
28-12-03, 08:36 AM
forgive me if this sounds utter bollox just tryin 2 help

1 it could stall going down hill due 2 the petrol pick up pipe being at the back so if uve only got a little bit of fuel it aint gettin up the pick up pipe :?: *

2 could ur heater matrix have gone :?: *

3 yes i would have thought an oil change could cure it

* note these are only surgestions although its not oftern i cud be well wrong :lol:

Jules
28-12-03, 10:49 AM
My old Beetle had a similar problem, but when I was going uphill it'd cough and splutter and stall, turned out that the new petrol tank I'd recently fitted had some lump of cardboard in and when the car was going uphill the cardboard would block the pipe and there for stop the petrol coming out - Maybe your tank has a blockage of somekind? Or if it has a fuel filter it might be worth spending a few quid changing that.

As for the heater I can only suggest an airlock in the system or a knackered matrix, Are any of the carpets damp? Feel right up underneath the dashboard for damp carpets - If there is then it probably means that the pipes going into the matrix have a crack and are leaking - therefor damp carpets and not a lot of heat!!

I can only suggest an oil change for the tappets though!!

Neil.
28-12-03, 02:18 PM
thanks guys :)

Phil_G
28-12-03, 08:35 PM
hi

sounds stupid but be certain there is water in the cooling system. that would also lead to the motors working but no hot air.

phil

Neil.
29-12-03, 01:00 AM
*in idiots terms*
when you say cooling system do you mean the water bottle?
me and a mate will be flushing out the water system via garden hose and removing bottom hose off radiator.

the water in the water bottle is a very murky muddy clay colour, surely this aint normal!!!!
someone said it could be cr@p from the radiator?

Phil_G
29-12-03, 01:26 AM
HI,

yes, that is correct. A full flush and change of coolant is always a good idea. Go and buy the biggest bottle of coolant you can find and use most of that when refilling the system. Also, a good oil change with good quality oil, as previously stated, can only do good. I wouldnt recommend however, using a flushing additive in the engine itself, as in some cases that can make any noises etc worse :S

Look around the area of the water tank under bonnet and you may well see what looks like a tyre valve cap. If you have one, and its on a pipe leading from/to the tank, then take that off when refilling as it is an air bleed off point.

be prepared for a lot of mess and a good bollocking off your mum for covering her driveway in shit. Otherwise, HAVE FUN!!!

Phil

Neil.
29-12-03, 01:45 AM
yeah i was having a good look around today and next to the water bottle was this pipe coming from the engine to this valve typ thingy, it didnt go to the bottle but was close. prob about the same leve as it, i did unscrew it today but not all the way as i didnt know what it was. so if i unscrew that and the flush it and the fill it up it should help, could it possibly cure the heaters prob aswell? someone posted this on another website about the clio prob as 2 ppl on there have the same problem...

maybe your could elaberate on this...

'Drain the coolent and disconnect the hoses for the heater on the engine side. Then get a mate to pour very hot water into the hose until it pours out of the other hose. With the heater blower running you should be able to feel the heat coming out, if not then we are screwed and its a dash off job for a new matrix. The hot water flush should help to free any blockage too.'

I'm goinbg to halfords 2morow to get, new air filter, new oil for re-fill, oil filter, spark plugs and coolent. and a haynes manual :D

wisewood
29-12-03, 10:45 AM
BUY A HAYNES YOU FOOL!!!

:lol: first thing i did when i went french.

Neil.
30-12-03, 12:12 AM
i got one now, just about to have a look through it.

Phil_G
30-12-03, 12:44 AM
'Drain the coolent and disconnect the hoses for the heater on the engine side. Then get a mate to pour very hot water into the hose until it pours out of the other hose. With the heater blower running you should be able to feel the heat coming out, if not then we are screwed and its a dash off job for a new matrix. The hot water flush should help to free any blockage too.'

basically that replicates the car pumping hot water around the system. It could help you to diagnose the problem that is leading to the lack of htot air