PDA

View Full Version : My new engine! - UPDATE

Adam Moran
27-12-03, 06:51 PM
Right, due to circumstances that I couldn’t foresee. I've bought an engine instead of building my own.

Heres the spec:

E16SE Block, crank and rods 0.5mm overbore
Crank was ground and new shells and mains fitted
New pistons to suit overbore
Fully Lightened and Balanced
2 Kilos of the Flywheel
ARP rod bolts
New oil pump, Water pump and Alternator
EBC Sports Clutch kit
GTE Big valve head with inlet ports matched to the manifold
Skimmed Head
New Hydraulic lifters and springs etc..
Full Kent NV061 Cam kit with vernier pulley and Kent Cams belt
Weber 40 Dcoe's with weber linkage
Modified Weber inlet manifold
4-1 Exhaust manifold
1.4 NV Ignition and coil
Rebuilt Corsa F15 gearbox

BHP - 152 (flywheel)
1/4 mile - 15.01 secs @ 93.13 mph

http://volcano.photobucket.com/albums/v11/novaaj/Ads_Engine_2.jpg
http://volcano.photobucket.com/albums/v11/novaaj/Ads_Engine.jpg

Video of the engine here: http://www.turbo-nutters.co.uk/videos.htm

What do you think?

Ad

epo
27-12-03, 07:11 PM
nice 1 mate looks good

them seats look spot on 2 in the background!

Dan
27-12-03, 07:19 PM
looks like we have another contender for mr slimjim, i had a few breif pm's with the original owner via Mig and the engine
does seem like a little belter, again another engine to prove the old 8v isnt dead yet :D. Just for abit of background the time
was ran on 14" wheels with slicks on a cool day

Adam Moran
27-12-03, 07:48 PM
Going to be running the same 14' wheels as the origanal owner. Not sure about the slicks though!

Going to fit the engine asap, cant wait to hear it as ive not heard an engine with T40's yet.

What did Slim run last year?

Oh, do i need air filters on the trumpets for normal day to day driving?

Ad

krobinson
27-12-03, 08:04 PM
Your gonna run 14's? wot about ur nice alloys?

I was seriously thinking about buying that engine, but it was working out too expensive to have it shipped over here...

Keith

Adam Moran
27-12-03, 08:22 PM
Going to keep them, they will look good with my -80mm drop at the back :wink:

The engine was a bargin considering what work has been done to it.

Looking forward to getting it in and seeing just how quick it is :lol:

Ad

novacabrio
27-12-03, 08:53 PM
just watched video, looks good! keep it looking original street sleeper stlye!

Dan
27-12-03, 09:34 PM
jim like myself ran full road trim last year and managed a very respectable 15.3 iirc. This year however should be a different story as jim has had the engine rebuilt to a tastier spec with some goodies on top. As for the filters i would say run with them just to be on the safe side, mine never get taken off, even on pod cos i just a pussy like that lol.

As far as i know jim is going to run next year in full road trim again (with no tinkering) to take my time from me so on a level field with the cars performance proving its worth as it would outside of the pod

VauxMD
27-12-03, 09:34 PM
Very nice indeed.....

Jim
27-12-03, 10:23 PM
Looks like a really nice engine. 15.1 is very respectable. In fact, anything in the 15's is good for a N/A 1.6 8v engine.

With regards to my car I ran two 15.3sec 1/4 and one 15.2sec 1/4mile at Santa Pod raceway on March 16th 2003. I was running normal everyday weight (if not more as I had a couple of bags/jackets in the car, as well as myspare wheel), I was also running 16's.

This whole "competition" between the 1.6 8v's is fun and I'd be lying if i said I wouldnt like to break the 15 sec barrier, but for me, its more the whole package of the car. What it looks like, how it handles, the acceleration, etc. I'm putting a lot of money into my car both mechanically and aesthetically.

It's going to be an intresting year for the 1.6 8v's. It's good to see people realising the potential of these engines and not sticking a 2.0 16v in. As for the spec of my car...well, you'll all have to wait and see ;)

Jim

Dare-devil
28-12-03, 09:24 AM
Very nice engine m8.

Adam Moran
28-12-03, 10:58 AM
As for the filters i would say run with them just to be on the safe side, mine never get taken off, even on pod cos i just a pussy like that lol.

Is there any picticular reason for this? Do you mean if a leaf got sucked in it would reck the engine?

where can i buy some of these or can i make my own?

Ad

Mark
28-12-03, 11:02 AM
leafs, stones - you'd be ammazed at what can get sucked in..lol

Places like Demon Tweekes can supply filter socks..

peester
28-12-03, 11:03 AM
jammie sod... looks awesome. i want one. :cry:
150 bhp must go really well; how is the f15 gearbox different from the f13?? cope's better with the power?? is it just as close-ratio as the f13??isn't it a bit dangerous to have cam belts exposed to the elements??
now you ain't gettin a lift to autosport show.

Adam Moran
28-12-03, 11:10 AM
Cheers Dave!

Dont know if ive got time for the Autosport show now as ive got to fit it ASAP.

F15C - FD 3.47 (somthing like that) - I guess its just stronger than the F13CR.

I suppose it is a little dangerous but im ok with it! Just got to watch other people when the hoods up and the engine is runnng!

karl Rowntree
28-12-03, 12:13 PM
Hi adam, glad to see to see you took the advice and saved yourself aload of money :wink: Should be a good engine, keeping up with bigger engine cars and should be great round a track.

As for the the filter socks, i dont run any but i should. I suggest getting a set from autosport if you are going if not try aldon automotive in brielly hill, thats where i get all my bits from.

Also i would run a cover over the cambelt mate. All it takes is a stone to flick up and land in the belt and its all over for the engine. For the sake of seeing the vernier pulley, and being safe i would go with the second option mate.

P.S when exactly are you planning to fit the engine? As i might still be in stoke at the weekend, going to get some done on andys car. If i can help mate you know i will. Let me know your plans.

Karl

Adam Moran
28-12-03, 01:26 PM
Your advice was spot on as usall!

Will get filters and a cover for the cam belt, the last thing i want is to snap the cam belt!

Was thinking about doing the engine next sat/sun. All i need help with is the "instalation" I might hire a hoist and see if i can do it on my own ( :? ) I'll let you know though.

Cant make it run until i get my new hoses though.

Going to order my new brakes and engine mounts on monday so again i cant run the car till they turn up.

Cheers for the advice again, invaluable!

Ad

NovaNeil
28-12-03, 02:13 PM
Hi Adam,
That engine looks dam sexy!!! Can't wait to see it. Make your you pop over when she's in and I'll finally be able to take you out in mine.
Well done, on what looks like a top buy!

Neil

Adam Moran
28-12-03, 02:38 PM
Cheers Neil,

You bet i'll be down as soon as it's done.

Going to be re-locating in a month or so to wiltshire so the days of the convoy MAY be over :cry:

Ad

karl Rowntree
28-12-03, 02:51 PM
Did you manage to get all the other bits with the engine adam i.e fuel regulator pump etc?

What brakes are you going for mate? Just that i think i am taking mine off soon, would you be intrested in them? They are allready rebuilt and painted red.

Will let you know what my final plans are when i have sorted it out with andy.

Adam Moran
28-12-03, 03:03 PM
Yep! got a filter king regulator and a red top fuel pump.

I want 16v brakes - is that what youve got?

If you have then yes i'll have them. Pm me regarding this.

Rite, back to the garage to finnish painting the underneath of my car :wink:

Ad

Jules
28-12-03, 04:20 PM
Watching the vid makes me wanna get T40's again...........
:cry:

peester
28-12-03, 11:29 PM

well whats stopping you? 'whats the matter?.... chicken!?'
go for it.

andybishop
29-12-03, 12:01 AM
Nice one Ad, Looks like a good purchase!!! We should be able to give you a hand fitting the engine, we'll sort it out with Karl and I'll come down and help out.

djp_y2k
29-12-03, 11:10 AM
looks very nice. should be a whole lot of fun once in.

Adam Moran
29-12-03, 11:29 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I think this is a sign of good times to come. Only last week i had some very bad personal news but things have turned around for the good!

I'm really looking forward to the summer and im defently up for doing a euro trip.

Andy, i've spoken to Karl and weve penciled in a date for Sat 10th (eveneing).

Ad

Jules
29-12-03, 12:56 PM

well whats stopping you? 'whats the matter?.... chicken!?'
go for it.

Mortgage? Fuel Consumption? I do a 40 mile round trip for work everyday?

:?

Adam Moran
29-12-03, 01:10 PM
Mortgage?

Thats a good thing! 10x easier to get the cash together to do it again :lol:

Fuel Consumption?

Is it really that bad? As long as you dont boot it all the time it can't be much worse than a standerd 1.6....... can it?

Ad

karl Rowntree
29-12-03, 05:41 PM
Welcome to the world of twin carbs adam :lol:

Put it this way, with the engine spec you have it isnt going to be too good on petrol. Alot does depend on how you drive it, but you cant help putting your foot down because of the sound!

Round town it wont be very good on fuel, i find mine is good on long motorway runs if i keep the revs low. Once you open the carbs up you will see the fuel gauge phisically move!

Dan
29-12-03, 07:45 PM
IF the car is set up correctly you should 'average' 30mpg +. I tested mine a few times over the summer period and was doing some motorway, some town driving and a few good playtimes just cos it cant be helped. I averaged 240 to a tank. I even managed to prove this point when we went to the mk meet as i picked slatter up and he was disgusted at how economical it really was :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NovaNeil
29-12-03, 08:30 PM
I get 28 mpg out of mine on a good day.........but I have got a blower attached :wink:

And a Diesel gearbox......

And an Ecotec Valve.......

And a Ecoflow thingey...... (magnet on fuel line)

So its not that good really :cry:

Welcome to the world of heavily Modded engines Adam....... Better get your wallet ready

Adam Moran
29-12-03, 08:46 PM
240 miles a tank - thats ok with me.

if i put ?25 in and get 200 miles i will be happy, however.............. Once ive heard the noise i've got a feeling my foot will be firmly down :lol:

I'm moving back home anyway so i will have a few spare pennys a month (like ?600! :o)

Ad

ade
30-12-03, 12:57 AM
:o OMG :o whats happening to the 2 seats in the background!

They look like theyre abandoned and getting trashed!

:x

Was after some black yellow ones!

nuno_gt
30-12-03, 01:20 AM
The videos are absolutely fantastic, but your nova beats them all (lol). Keep up the good work buddy

MattNovaTD
30-12-03, 11:44 AM
Don't worry, the seats are going to get lots of use!

That engine belonged to a mate of mine, Rob. Was pretty awesome for what it is. And that has to be one of the most looked after engines too!

You should see the Nova it came from now though...... :o

Sure is awesome and I have a picture but not too sure if he'd appreciate it if I posted it! :?

Adam Moran
30-12-03, 11:52 AM
not too sure if he'd appreciate it if I posted it!

Is that because of what happened to it at a cruise or the fact you don't want to spoil the suprise for next year?

I saw the car when i went down and its mint apart from the "dents" but all i'll say is watch out for this on next year :wink:

Ad

MattNovaTD
30-12-03, 11:57 AM
Yea don't want to spoil the surprise.

Before those dents it was the cleanest Nova you've ever seen!!

Adam Moran
12-01-04, 07:58 PM
Well it's in it's new home. Again I owe BIG favors to Karl and Andy!

http://volcano.photobucket.com/albums/v11/novaaj/Engine1.jpg

http://volcano.photobucket.com/albums/v11/novaaj/Engine2.jpg

http://volcano.photobucket.com/albums/v11/novaaj/Engine3.jpg

Ad

Mark
12-01-04, 10:18 PM
looking good ad!

karl Rowntree
13-01-04, 07:49 PM
You owe me 2 knuckles adam! wrecked my hand for some reason. lol.

Was so easy to put in, and wont take much more to get it up and running. Would of had it done in half an hour if it wasnt for me and andy messing around and drinking so much tea! cheers ad.

Looking forward to going out in it soon.

Got your mirrors sorted adam, just need to get the brakes off my car now mate.

krobinson
13-01-04, 07:58 PM
Looking fantastic..

I still cant believe how clean your nova is.. its just not possible? lol

Keith

elsey197
13-01-04, 08:05 PM
looks spanking gorgeous mate :D

epo
13-01-04, 08:06 PM
on anothe note ad i got that gauge in works perfect thx mate :D

Dpnova
13-01-04, 08:13 PM
Looks lovely

Adam Moran
13-01-04, 08:52 PM
Think i found one of your knuckels on the exhaust manifold Karl, will pop it in the post :lol: I have no idea how you kept so calm, i would of lost it :lol:

I'm sure you'll be here when i turn the key! Going to spend every night on it until its done.

Keith, all i can say is im a lucky chap! my Dad brought it for me in June 02 as a run-around (he only got this one because of the number plate :wink: ) so it was down to him really. In fact hes done well really, he brought me this one as well:

http://volcano.photobucket.com/albums/v11/novaaj/A1.jpg

No problem Epo!

Ad

[/img]

krobinson
14-01-04, 05:05 PM
Jesus that one looks mint too!

Git!

Well suppose i cant say much, my winter runabout is a minter too, as well as my blue one..

Keith