PDA

View Full Version : middle silencer - off or not?

MechaT
26-12-03, 10:36 PM
My modded 1.3SR is making a hundred-and-something at the flywheel (was 103 before cam). It's got a 4-branch manifold and I want to know if I replace the middle silencer with a Cherry Bomb item will make it any worthwhile gains, or will it just sound like tinned fart?.

Hardie
26-12-03, 10:52 PM
Not very sure tbh mate but if you were gonna replace it with summit, go for summit a bit classy, cherry bomb aint anything special

Jules
26-12-03, 11:07 PM
Will probably fail the MoT and get you loads of unwanted attention from the boys in blue but other than that..............

MechaT
28-12-03, 10:39 AM
Cherry Bomb a bit crap then? Cheers guys. I'll leave well alone then.

Philsutton
28-12-03, 04:12 PM
The police dont really like my car and ive had to have more siliencers fitted so its not so loud, but last week at donnington i had the car sound tested to go on the track an it was 95 decibels. Its still rather loud considering its got 4 siliencers on. Wouldnt think it would make much difference to performance as i have a modified 1.4sr engine which made 110+bhp at the flywheel with an extra siliencer. Might as well save your money for something else.

2litreturbo
28-12-03, 07:07 PM
if you put an extra silencer in it will make the car sound more throaty but will slightly reduce the bhp but will increase the torque! When i got a system on my purple nova i asked how much it would be if i wanted a sliencer added at a later date and he said nothing. So i drove off without a silencer and the acceleration was massively reduced and it sounded like a big fanny fart so went back next day, and got one put in. sound better and loads more torque,

Aragorn
29-12-03, 12:13 AM
yer u need backpressure of some description - if its too low you will go slower

nova_rally
29-12-03, 07:29 PM
err, Horsepower and torque are the same - just Hp is a different way of expressing torque. Lots of torque low down will show up as low Hp coz HP depends on revs. Adding a silencer moves the torque band lower down so you get the effect of more acceleeration. Getting rid of it moves it up slightly, so your HP will go up but you wont notice it...

Complicated but thats how it works!

Good example is our Nissan Primera - 110HP but it feels like its got no power at all coz all the torque's at high revs, which hardly ever get used. My Old Mazda 121 had the same torque value all the way from 1000-45000 RPM- felt more powerful than any other car I've driven.

So in summary - if youre gonna be revving the hell outta youre car to get the power you can do away with the silencer. If you're gonna be driving with low revs then you may as well add a silencer.

Sorry for long post! :lol:

Alan

MechaT
29-12-03, 08:43 PM
Well thats told me then! :wink: Thanks guys, you've all been a genuine help.

Tazzy
30-12-03, 12:00 AM
as we are on the subject, im thinking of a 1.4 sri outlet manifold and downpipe, with gte front pipe for my 1.2i, with a BB4 on the back (i know i know, but its cheap!) but taking the middle box out and straight piping it!

is this a good idea or not?

and i dont mean the BB4! lol :oops: