PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Probs..

krobinson
26-12-03, 01:35 PM
Haveing a problem with broadband. Before i contact BT about it, on there 20 quid a second technical line, i thought i'd ask here...

Basically i keep getting disconnected, some days it could last a few hours without disconnecting, other days it happens every few minutes. When it happens i get this message:

http://uploader.co.uk/images/problems.jpg

And the ADSL light flashes on my modem for a few seconds before staying on constant again, it wont let me reconnect until the light is solid and not flashing.

Anyone had simaliar probs? know how to fix it?

Keith

so1o
26-12-03, 03:08 PM
If it works then cuts out, sounds to me BT are messed up at there end. I dont have BT but try switching of your modem for a couple of hours then try it again.

HEVY-nova
26-12-03, 05:00 PM
Im on broadband and I get the same problem. I have been with BT for about 3 years now and unfortunately their service has always been SHIT. Dunno what causes the disconnection but its properly annoying :evil:

Jules
26-12-03, 09:20 PM
Sorry m8 - can't help, I'm on NTL cable and my connection is there as soon as I switch my PC on.............

:twisted:

Fester
26-12-03, 09:23 PM
these sort of things are always difficult to diagnose without being there

first thing i would check though assuming its a USB modem youre using, is that any power management settings are trying to turn it off to conserve power

assuming the problem is not with BT

AnThoNYnOvA
27-12-03, 04:04 AM
u sure u got bb? cos bb does not d\c unless to techinal fault in there system or your wires

Stokie_Dave
27-12-03, 12:14 PM
It used to happen to me, as if the line was losing sychronisation with the exchange. What modem do you use? Cheap shit ones cause all sorts of problems like this... For me though, it was dodgy drivers and the fact that pipex was overloaded at the time, and I just kept getting booted off, it'd gimme that message, and then reconnect on its own in about 20 seconds.

BT Openworld are a WANK ISP m8, all the thicko's get it because they know no better (not saying you are, but the PC World kinda customer peeps lol) - if you can swap without paying another sign up fee, I'd do so. BT are overloaded. Just cuz they're the monopoly doesn't mean they'll have the best service :)

srs1
27-12-03, 11:28 PM
i'm on ntl broadband too. i have never had a problem either. you dont even have to have the ntl digi (tv) box any more. worth considering.

Ian_Gsi16v
29-12-03, 02:23 PM
Had the same problem mate, foned BT numerous times and they didnt wanna know.

Changed to Tiscali and its sound :D

Jordi
29-12-03, 02:28 PM
My m8 has bt never had a problem except sometimes a server or exchange will drop out causing him to keep d/cing.

I'm on Blueyonder 1mbit cable, as sed above its on when i switch on. But my connection is run thru a router so modem is never off anyway and normally 1 of the 3 pc's is one too.

2litreturbo
29-12-03, 02:50 PM
Had this problem with bt when first got it. Sorted itselft out. The reason the light flashes on the modem is because the modem is connecting to the digital exchange. Once it is connected you can then use broadband. Try getting a broadband router like me cos then even if you turn your computer off the router maintains the broadband connection.

krobinson
29-12-03, 07:27 PM
Finally, after 7 call's to BT there finally sending an engineer out to check the exchange and my connection within the next 48 hours...

Wont be on the net for a while as it only stays connected for 30 seconds :evil:

Keith