PDA

View Full Version : had enough of novas

match
22-12-03, 07:35 PM
after 3 years of plunging endless amounts of cash into my nova i have finally got to the point where i HATE the Fuc**n things (compared to the constant costs of owning one), so after 1 call to the insurance folk its time to get rid.

i have got fed up with spending so much money and getting nowhere really, i have therefore got loads of bits to get rid off (many brand new) so have a look in the for sale forums to see whats going.

ALSO if any one is looking for a solid shell to use as a project car then get in touch as i have EXACTLY what your after - new rear arches fitted, new sils, new front wings, inner wings strengthened. boot floor re-plated (where they all go soft)

shell is in good condition just needs a spray and finishing off - ideal project

anyway ive had enough of wasting money on it so i think im gonna buy meself a sweet 2.l 16v calibra in the new year

Stanton
22-12-03, 07:42 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

another one lost, :(

keep with it mate.

well at least ure going to another vaux, it cud b worse. gud luck wit whateva u do

match
22-12-03, 07:50 PM
its gotta go, sat an worked out that its gonna cost just over ?1000 to respray it, then gotta get tax, test and rolling road tuning, so say about ?1600 to sort it all out

there aint no point wasting that much ontop of what i have already wasted on it. so i might as weel pay ?250 more a year on insurance and have a calibra

?Marty?
23-12-03, 02:45 AM
^^^ kinda see what you mean.

Mines a love and hate relationship. I also regret spending ?3k when i was considering starting with something new, but then though 'no i'll just sort out the bodywork on mine (it was vandalised, so i thought i might as well re-do it, or get something else'), and then a few weeks later i though 'now when i sell the car, i'll only have what i had before i did it up, MINUS what i could have got for the actual car on top of that, if i sold it then'. Never mind, eh.

Now i'm constantly thinking 'shall i do a little bit more (excluding the bodywork, as there is nothing more left to ruin there now lol), or shall i call it quits and start on something new'. But lose money now. Or delay it. lol Since it WILL happen.

match
23-12-03, 02:53 AM
well mines been off the road for about 8 months now and its just costing more to do than its worth, plus i fancy some reliability after having novas since my 1st car!

the major work has been done (new front and rear arches, sils, inner wings strengthened) it just needs someone who has the time to finish it (i moved to uni) and put it back to how it looks in my feature!

Ste_Nova
23-12-03, 10:25 AM
calibras are just as bad

Jim
23-12-03, 10:45 AM
I think most people have been in this position.

Only yesterday I was getting really fed up with Novas and didn't want to look at another Nova (which is hard when I've been doing the Top Trumps/Calenders - which are nearly done btw). My cars been sat in the bodyshop since the end of August. The engines been re-built and I've got all the bits for my Interior, just no shell to put it all in. I was really getting fed up with it all and was mentioning this to friends yesterday. I phoned the bodyshop to see if he had started the car yet to which I was expecting hi to say no, however, I was pleased to hear that he had started the work. This has given me a massive lift and I can start to plan out what I will need to do to my car when I get it back from the bodyshop.

Suppose what I'm trying to say is, if your patient enough, all things come to those who wait.

Jim

ken
23-12-03, 02:48 PM
i know what you mean mate, get an astra gsi j,k,l reg 150 bhp models

Ste_Nova
23-12-03, 03:19 PM
i know what you mean mate, get an astra gsi j,k,l reg 150 bhp models

these are suffering now with rot etc

Bilbo ballbaggins
23-12-03, 03:27 PM
think you'll be suffering the same problems if you go to other vauxhalls of the same sort of age, cos there shit. :cry:

rob_wilkinson
23-12-03, 04:09 PM
Agree with slim jim good things come to those who wait. Ive got about a grand worth of styling parts in my bedroom a kingdom kit in the shed and about a grand in a pot waiting to be spent on a alarm, but the shell is still being worked on and de-rusted. You just have to keep looking forward to doin little things then it soon adds up. Havin said that though i dont have to pay for any work being done so i dont have them costs.

Euan
23-12-03, 04:42 PM
can see where your coming from my car has been off the road for about 8months now as well. i've got a whole load of stuff waiting to go on it and all my friends and family are totally fed up with it.

but am sticking with it cus when its built its gonna be sumthin that i've done completly by myself(expect paint)

you wont get that satisfaction from any other car really.

elsey197
23-12-03, 05:57 PM
everyone feel like this, ive got loads of little things wrong with mine at the mo,but am just ignoring them at the moment but will get round to sorting them out and ill be happy again.

think you will miss it if you get rid :?

?Marty?
23-12-03, 11:56 PM
Only thing with ''doing all work by myself'' is that as self-satisfying and good for impressing your mates as that is, when it comes to selling, it's not a good selling point.

Then, ''all work professionally carrier out, with receipts'' is the winner.

Also, as to 'giving up' - it's only worth it if you're moving up to something significantly and much MUCH different. And if modifying cars and creating something different is your thing, things like getting fed up and wanting a 'no hassle reliable' car every so often is just part and parcel of the whole thing.

One day you can feel like burning the fucker and not bothering anymore, and the new you can be on a high again.

Ste_Nova
24-12-03, 11:37 AM
Then, ''all work professionally carrier out, with receipts'' is the winner.

what happens if you your self are a professional?

Bilbo ballbaggins
24-12-03, 05:47 PM
''all work professionally carrier out, with receipts'' is the winner.

depends who the 'profesional' is. lol

Euan
24-12-03, 06:17 PM
your never gonna get your money back anyway so might aswell learn some new skills along the way.

?Marty?
25-12-03, 07:35 PM
I agree, and i do (and did) as much work as i can myself (except painting exterior).

But people dont look on it favourably when buying, even if the person himself is a professional. Unless they KNOW of him/their place of (motor industry related) work.

brian
25-12-03, 10:39 PM
i know how ya feel. i've had Novas now for over 6 years and built many from bare shell up doing everything bar the paint job. its a costly business but i've moved on from them as a road car. ( bought a GT4 ) i now have a Nova Rally car and enjoy working on getting it ready for next March 21st its first outing. I got so pissed off with little problems in the cars i was using every day that i had to move on. Some people on here will remember this day last year i broke a track control arm in the blue wide arch nova. It had been built with 90% new parts and cost ?0000's. i had other problems with this car too and broke it and sold it in bits, broke even and moved on. built another and sold it on since and i'm sure i will build another in the future but it will not be for everyday use ever again!!
When the Calibra pisses you off i'm sure you will consider putting the engine in a Nova!! :wink:

match
30-12-03, 06:36 PM
after shopping round on insurance i can afford to buy the new shaped calibra with the cream leather on an m/n plate,with full electric gizmos etc and insure it for ?15 a month more than im paying on the nova at the moment. :lol:

there isnt really much contest between the 2 now so the nova has really gotta go.

no doubt i will do a nova as a project when i leave uni and have the money, time & space to finish it but as far as this one goes - game over

Barn
30-12-03, 07:58 PM
funny reading this post as I'm sort of in this situation at the moment.
basically, I bought my Nova off a c**t that new wot he was doing when I at the time didn't. bought the car with 3months MOT left (nuff said) and all the rust had been undersealed and covered up.

Only when the MOT renewel came did I find out just how bad it was... spent best part of ?500 getting it repaired. that was mostly under the surface also and included parts of the chassis being 're-newed'. the back arches still need to be done (hate to think wot they're like inside :( ).
although I've asked on here for advice about the chassis thing before there were mixed replies... some saying scrap it and some saying that it should be ok.

I'm now at the stage where I dunno whether to spend some hard earned doing her up more....or waiting till my year is up (insurance,cost me an arm and a leg) sell this one and get another one (with the possibility it could have similiar probs e.g. rust covered with underseal)???

decisions ay?!

match
31-12-03, 06:09 PM
i got a mint shell etc for sale - new rear arches, sils, front wings, inner wings strenghtened

see cars for sale section

dan_mk1
01-01-04, 11:35 PM
funny reading this post as I'm sort of in this situation at the moment.
basically, I bought my Nova off a c**t that new wot he was doing when I at the time didn't. bought the car with 3months MOT left (nuff said) and all the rust had been undersealed and covered up.

Only when the MOT renewel came did I find out just how bad it was... spent best part of ?500 getting it repaired. that was mostly under the surface also and included parts of the chassis being 're-newed'. the back arches still need to be done (hate to think wot they're like inside :( ).
although I've asked on here for advice about the chassis thing before there were mixed replies... some saying scrap it and some saying that it should be ok.

I'm now at the stage where I dunno whether to spend some hard earned doing her up more....or waiting till my year is up (insurance,cost me an arm and a leg) sell this one and get another one (with the possibility it could have similiar probs e.g. rust covered with underseal)???

decisions ay?!

you could buy mine?! :wink: :lol: