PDA

View Full Version : Dash Backlights

nova_rally
21-12-03, 11:31 AM
Just got the quote from the bodyshop for the work on my Nova (did i say nova? I meant rust factory). It basically says don't spend any more on it! I had wanted to change the horrible SR white Dials for black backlit GTE 1s and get a volteter and oil thingy as well, but thats too expenive sooo...

How do I change the bulbs in the dash for some brighter 1s? I wouldn't mind the white dials so much if I could read them at night!

Alan

Hardie
21-12-03, 12:02 PM
Aint it just a case of getting in behind the dials and replacing the bulbs ?

Just rip your dash out n fit a digi one, no probs seeing it at night

nova_rally
21-12-03, 05:37 PM
Digi Dash looks horrible and wouldnt be allowed for rallying anyway. How do I get the dash outta this thing? Can you get coloured bulbs for it, wood look pretty nice with red backlight! (fantasy land again!) :lol:

Alan

(Before anyone moans anbout WRC cars using STACK clocks, ROAD RALLYING rules are totally different. The layout of the original instruments cannot be changed, but extra things can be added.)

peester
21-12-03, 08:42 PM
all novas unscrew easy peasey. ive changed the bulbs on a mk2 nova and on mine it was a case of untwisting the bulb holder out of the back of the instuments binacle, breaking the old bulbs each and everyone so the holder was bare. there are two tiny terminals on either side of the holder they needed sliding out then attaching to the new bulb's two wires (as found in 501 capless sidelight bulbs) and the whole lot sliding back onto the bulb holder then twisting back into the binacle. you can buy same wattage bulbs (1.2w) from halford or wherever in clear, amber or green (aparently some places can do blue, red etc) or a higher wattage bulb (2.3w) in clear only; which would be brighter. (i put the green ones in; matches my alpine, lol)
get yourself a haynes if you can't even unscrew the dash.

Ben3042
22-12-03, 12:15 AM
Go down to your local Ripspeed, A1 motorworld or that sort of shop ect, and buy a set of blue neon beemers for about ?15, they stick on your steering shroud and beem onto the dials and are very bright.

Hope that helps 8)

nova_rally
22-12-03, 03:55 PM
Thanks peester, I'm still waiting on my Haynes manual. Still waiting on the car as well (still in bodyshop - whole front end's rusted out). Green would match the Kenwood I have as well - if I'd have bought the next 1 up I could have chosen Red, nevermind!

Blue Neons? :o

:lol:

Alan