PDA

View Full Version : 2.0L 16v help

krobinson
20-12-03, 01:53 PM
A mate has bought a rotten GSI cavalier, not worth saving, so he's stripping it.

The engine runs good, and seems to be pretty much ok. 130,000 miles. Its 1990, so has the cossie head which i hear is much better.

Need opinions and help. First, how much is the engine worth? whats the most i should give him for it?

Exactly what do i need in order to fit it to my nova?

I already have the bay seam welded, and the bushin's/suspension/brakes are all uprated. I havent got the clearence for the altenator tho, is there anyway to get around this? smaller altenator? I dont exactly want to paint the bay again?

Wheres the best to get the fitting kit from? drives, engine mounts etc?

Any other info much appreciated.

Keith

Chris S
20-12-03, 03:57 PM
How much u wanna spend on the conversion exc engine?

Ben
20-12-03, 04:38 PM
130k is a lot and would pay to rebuild before you fit it.

The engines are going from ?250-500 depending on mileage etc (and yours is high).

Not all G reg cars ave coscast thats a myth so make sure you check it out as this too affect the value somewhat.

There is no real way of getting round the altenator unless you buy a lightweight race style one wich cost about ?500 and cause problems (only known one person to do it and it caused loads of greif).

You dont want to buy a fitting kit as they are overpriced for what you get and need.

Search round for a set of 1989 GTE driveshafts (90% chance of being 22 splines) then find yourself some Cav MK2 inner cv joints to mate up.

Another point make sure you can insure it before you even think of buying the engine, in my opinion the engine is only worth a couple of hundred quid if it is complete with everything off the Cav.

The fitting isnt that hard to do but it is harder to do a good job, an awful lot of 2.0l 16v engines just look like they have been thrown in even if they are doneby the likes of Regal, Courtenay and Vxspc.

Ive only ever seen a couple of conversions were you can actually loom at the engine and really belive it belongs in there.

Ian
20-12-03, 05:37 PM
yes there is a way round the alternator. martin hill sells a kit to move it lowdown and to the front of the engine, im sure karl or andy know a bit more and can explain, he uses brackets and a smaller alternator off a jap car.

nova198
20-12-03, 05:56 PM
for the driveshafts mate, i used my g reg nova gte shafts and got some reconditioned inner cv joints for ?30 each.you need 22 internal splines and 34 external splines.

krobinson
20-12-03, 06:40 PM
yes there is a way round the alternator. martin hill sells a kit to move it lowdown and to the front of the engine, im sure karl or andy know a bit more and can explain, he uses brackets and a smaller alternator off a jap car.

Cheers ian. I'll have a chat to karl about it. I'm gonna wait till next winter for this conversion.

Think i'll find an engine, have it rebuilt and source everything in time for winter then get it all sorted for 2005.

Keith

karl Rowntree
21-12-03, 12:40 PM
Hi keith, glad to hear you are thinking of giving the car the engine it needs mate.

As for the alternator, i have the front mounted alternator mounted of the power steering mounts. Is very easy to do and i much prefer it instead of modding the chassis leg.

As far as i know martin wont be doing any more kits as he cant get hold of any alternators. But leave it with me as i am trying to source an alternator that will do the job.

Would anyone else be intrested in a front mounted alternator?

Keith, i can maybe keep an eye out for an engine and get it rebuilt for you. I have a couple of friends that own an engine tuning company and will rebuild me an engine at a VERY good price. Just got andys and martins turbos done for them.

Can give you a hand to fit it aswell if you want. Wouldnt end up costing you much at all mate.

tonydry
21-12-03, 07:35 PM
id be intrested in a front mounted alternator depending how long it would take to get it my engine is fitted the bay has been sprayed the chasis wasent knocked in enough so dont want to mess the paint work up realy knocking it in more :roll:

karl Rowntree
21-12-03, 08:36 PM
Going to be january now before i can think about getting some sorted. Let me know if you are intrested still and i will keep intouch.

Karl.

tonydry
21-12-03, 10:32 PM
still intrested send me a pm after new year see what can be done cars not going on the road till feb so can put it off for a wile

dathers
22-12-03, 11:12 AM
Have you got any good pics of this front mounted alt?
Dave

Ste_Nova
22-12-03, 12:25 PM
Ive only ever seen a couple of conversions were you can actually loom at the engine and really belive it belongs in there.

:lol:
http://uploader.co.uk/images/nova4q.jpg
http://uploader.co.uk/images/engine_smallr.jpg

Ben
23-12-03, 02:21 AM
Ste your blue one looks too high on the cambelt side and the Turbo spider looks very cramped compared to others i have seen.

Ste_Nova
23-12-03, 10:27 AM
mines low on the cambelt side..... carquip mount on lowest setting

robs looks cramped cause the car is white

Lee H
23-12-03, 08:45 PM
http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/575big7.jpg

Mine looks cramped too. Lets face it, there isn't a great deal of room to fit an engien that isn't meant to be there into a nova engine bay :wink:

novax
25-12-03, 10:25 PM
?200-?400 for the lot, if you're rebuilding it then general wear and tear can be ignored. rebuild the head, new gaskets, hone the block and new rings - this is the bare minimum you dare get away with.