PDA

View Full Version : pic of my new fmic in place!

dan16v
20-12-03, 09:55 AM
http://uploader.co.uk/images/forge2.jpg

well the pic should be there :lol: got my custom intercooler thursday from forge, one of the best companies ive delt with so far, just need to get some samco 90 degree elbows now to connect it all up!

2litreturbo
20-12-03, 10:02 AM
mate have you got a few specs of the intercooler? like sizes and prices.
Also, did you have to cut something out to fit that there? I cant remember if there is anything above the crossmember.

Ta

p.s, looks well smart.

TWAG
20-12-03, 10:03 AM
looking good mate! theyve done a good job by the looks of it!

dan16v
20-12-03, 10:13 AM
you have to chop out the strengthinig bar from the slam panel to the cross member and thats it for my design, it could have been bigger but ii have designed it so that i can keep the gsi bumper and not put any cut outs in it! ie so you cant see the fmic!! should be good for undercover races :lol:
i think it was about ?340inc vat

Rick Draper
20-12-03, 11:05 AM
Looking good now dan progress at last!, bet you cannot wait to use it now! Rick

Chris_W
20-12-03, 12:27 PM
What I can't work out is why it cost so much? I mean I know their work is top notch as I've got one fitted to my old car now, but the universal ones they sell are slightly larger and are cheaper. Now the bulk price of the intercooler is made up in the core cost, so being smaller than a universal one surely it should be cheaper? :S Anyway, looks sweet mate, but what about heat soak from the rad?

Chris

Chris_W
20-12-03, 12:39 PM
Dan,
Just looked again and yours might actually be the same size as the universal ones, so I'm still confused, but anyway, here's some pics to compare. Maybe we should have tried to get a bluk novaload discount with them! :lol:
http://www.chriswardy.btinternet.co.uk/inter.jpg
http://www.chriswardy.btinternet.co.uk/inter1.jpg

Chris

dan16v
20-12-03, 02:52 PM
chris youd be suprised its not far off the universal one! i know as i was gunna get the uni one! part numb is fmint105 or something?

this one has small revisions in the size to allow me not to touch the gsi bumper tho! at the end of the day ?300 isnt much money as its cut out alot of hassle 8)

http://uploader.co.uk/images/forge.jpg

Dare-devil
20-12-03, 02:57 PM
Looks very nice. :twisted:

dan16v
20-12-03, 03:05 PM
chris the universal one is 680x160x74 my revised dimensions are 580x180x70! so ther is a fair bit of difference, in looking to run aquamist to compensate for the smaller i/c

beatin u
20-12-03, 03:31 PM
what rad is that???

RDS's cooler is 2x the size and cost less :?

djp_y2k
20-12-03, 03:57 PM
looking very smart.

?Marty?
20-12-03, 04:29 PM
?300's nowt.

looks brilliant!

Ben
20-12-03, 05:12 PM
RDS's cooler is 2x the size and cost less :?

Read whats already been written you cretin

dan16v
20-12-03, 06:33 PM
RDS's cooler is 2x the size and cost less

well the intercooler is fine for the 350bhp that we are getting from the car, so imo its good enuff :lol:

and as said ?300 isnt much any way ive bought 6 spares in case i crash

Lee H
21-12-03, 05:20 PM
Is the radiator not touching on the turbo with it in that position as when I fitted my radiator that far back it melted with the heat from the turbo?

I have now had to move the radiator right to the front of the crossmember to get decent clearance against the turbo.

Lee

dan16v
22-12-03, 10:36 AM
lee yes the whole lot can come forward once i chop up my bumper bar also i wont be running a kkk, on the t3 garret the turbo seems to sit nice and close to the block but its the actuator that causes the problems as they stick out a fair bit :roll:

Rick Draper
22-12-03, 11:59 AM
lee yes the whole lot can come forward once i chop up my bumper bar also i wont be running a kkk, on the t3 garret the turbo seems to sit nice and close to the block but its the actuator that causes the problems as they stick out a fair bit :roll:

Yup the actuator is a right bitch aint it! I am thinking of extending the actuator rod and bracket and running the actuator in the hole on the OSF of the rad. Mine shud only need lengthening around a inch not to sure about yours though. Rick

NovaNeil
22-12-03, 12:25 PM
Sorry Dan, Just PM'd you about this topic.... Didn't realise there was a thread on it :oops:

Instead of the Actuator could you not run an External Wastegate? Or do you have to run an Actuator with a Wastegate?

Chris_W
22-12-03, 01:07 PM
You only run an actuator if you run an internal wastegate.

Chris

dan16v
22-12-03, 04:50 PM
no probs neil! :D

Rick my actuator wont be to bad as the couteney manifold holds it in realy tight! i was thinking the same as you with the rod or bend a slight set in the rod and shorten the brkt it sits on i dont think ill nd a custom rad