PDA

View Full Version : Putting a Head Unit where the clock/heater grilles go

nova_rally
19-12-03, 01:40 PM
I'm trying to jiggle the interior of the Nova around so I can fit all the extra Rally controls in. (Poti Plug in points, digital clock, spotlamps + Striplight switches and warning lights etc...). I want to put these where the Stereo coz I have the electric window switches in the Centre Console so theres no room down there.

Anyway, what's involved with fitting the stereo in place of the clock, hazard light switch and the heater grille things? Worth doing or not?

Alan

peester
19-12-03, 01:49 PM
rally cars don't have stereo. they have a c.b. 'breaker breaker,..'

can be done mate. i think the hazard can stay put too. best thing is to go out and for next to nothing buy a spare vent/haz/clock holder off a scrappy, ask an audio shop if theyve got any spare /free olf stereo cages you can have and bash and fabricate away this xmas till the cage fits nice and snug. if the cage fits; any DIN size audio unit will. just remember there are DIN shape slots/pockets etc out there to buy to help you get a good fit. any audio shop sells 'em.

Dpnova
19-12-03, 01:49 PM
If your making a rally car why do you want a radio

nova_rally
19-12-03, 05:36 PM
My car Will be for ROAD RALLYING not stage rallying - it's also my everyday going to and from college car, so I need a stereo to stop me goin insane when I'm not rallying. :lol:

Good idea - I've got the old Nova stereo and the 1 out of my old Mazda 121 Rally Car to play around with.

I'm most concerned about how I'm gonna get all the wires to it when it's in the new position - spose it means pulling the dash out? The hazard switch is no prob as it's going to be replaced with 1 on the Rally Panel. I'm also worried about space behind the stereo if I do put it there - It was a nightmare trying to get the stereo back into place in the Mazda coz of all the wires behind it!

Where do all these strange beliefs about Rally cars come from! :lol:

Alan

peester
19-12-03, 09:26 PM
you can get wiring extentions; pc2-34-4 is the part number i think. (halford) you shouldn't have a problem with too much wiring, plenty of room.

BIG jts
01-01-04, 11:38 PM
seen this post and thought i better reg and post a reply....i just bought a pioneer 7500 head unit with built in screen,great head unit but it wouldnt work in the head unit slot as its set the head unit too far back and the screen couldnt come out...balls..so i thought i would put it where the heaters are. i havent finished it yet but its not too bad a job. first of all remove the vents and cut them out keeping the hazard switch then i bought a pug auto lead stereo surround and use fibre glass,filler and some self tappers too make a new surround keeping the standard haz switch giving it a little shave on the bottom..perfect..next undo the dash bolts 2 on the side 2 underneath and pull the dash out slightly then take out the glove box about 5 screws,remove the heater channels made of plastic behind your new head unit slot this needs two pairs of hands and a bit of force to get out,pull this out through the glove box hole..now you have too cut part of the dash heat channel on the left of the hole too make the head unit fit,use a hack saw or knife,now you need too make some new pipes for the windscreen heater and you lose the center heater but thats no great lose,make you new heater pipes from plastic flex hoses buy from b&q plumb section,exp foam these into the heat channel holes remaining and push it up into the left channel which you cuy early and exp foam this up. now you need too seal the other heater hole on the right side just use a pice of plastic and some glue..thats the heater done the only other thing is the bulkhead is quite close and only gives you 160mm about the size of the head unit so you may need too hit this back a bit too get rca leads in ect use a block of wood this works quite well..the wiring loomn reaches right up too your new slot..job done ......i am still painting mine and finishing it all off but i could post some pictures i have taken if any body wants.....

nova_rally
02-01-04, 12:40 PM
Thanks, sounds great - I'll give it a go! I'd love to see pics of the completed unit when its done.

Alan

RJM25R
17-01-04, 12:44 AM
BEFORE you start making a start, just beware that it depends on the depth of the head unit. Pioneer and Alpine are the only ones i have seen fitted. Sony are DEFINITELY too big and stick out too far.

I did this mod 4 years ago and had to swap my Sony head unit for an Alpine to make it fit. Then i bought a sony minidisc and slotted that back into he proper slot, and used the alpine DSP to control the amps but still get the source (sound) from the sony.

IT LOOKED FANTASTIC. email me for some pictures....

rickmarland@ic24.net

nova_rally
17-01-04, 06:32 PM
Kenwood KDC-3024 - I'll make it fit! :twisted:

Aint got the car back yet - Stereo's the last thing to go in anyway - I have 4 weeks to rally prepare it on a budget of less than ?100 :cry:

Alan

RJM25R
18-01-04, 11:16 PM
OK but be prepared for it to stick out....

nova_rally
19-01-04, 09:11 AM
Just measured it - the Kenwood is 155mm long. With a gap for wiring say about 170mm needed. It will need blending in at the front anyway coz the Kenwood has 1 of those horrible black plastic bezels around it, so that'll want hiding so a little fibreglass, some Filler.... Can't see the sticking out as being too difficult to fix at the same time.

If I do a spot more trimming of the wiring harness It should fit, but would be very tight! No Amps or anything on my car so theres no big connectors on the back (no aerial either).

Alan