PDA

View Full Version : c20xe idle controll valve

a2lt16v
19-12-03, 11:13 AM
does this idle controll valve have to be plugged in mine is not and i cannot find the plug any where. think monkey before must have chopped it off. it seemed to run alright tho so maybe is not eeded

2litreturbo
19-12-03, 04:06 PM
as you prob know the valve controls the idle speed by opening up to let more air in. As more air is let in the air flow meter detects more air and subsequently injects more fuel. Therefore the idle speed goes up. If it is not plugged in the valve will be closed and the only air that wil get in is thru the hole on the butterfly. The engine will still work perfectly except that on cold starts, the engine will not idle at the correct speed. The ecu keeps the idle speed up slightly when the engine is cold. It's not a problem, just means the engine is slightly more likely to stall when cold.

dathers
22-12-03, 11:06 AM
If its not plugged in it does NOT shut completely,it still leaves a small air passage to to allow a basic idle.
If you sqeeze the rubber pipe between the ICV and the sfi box you should be able to stall the engine as this then cuts off ALL air to the engine,if it doesnt there is a leak or the throttle butterfly are either not set right or dont seal properly.
Yours was probably unplugged due to eratic idleing as the ICV is known for sticking,just needs a good clean.
The wire should be round the back somewhere,there is quite a large connector round the back of the engine,about 6 pins or so,this then has wires coming out of it that then split into two parts,one part for the knock sensor connector and the other for the ICV.
Find the knock sensor and follow the wire back until you find another wire branching off,this is for the ICV.
Dave

2litreturbo
22-12-03, 04:43 PM
I'm pretty sure the butterfly on the 20seh has a hole it in and that the idle valve closes completely when unplugged.

dathers
22-12-03, 06:20 PM
yes that may be so,
BUT,
He is talking about a c20xe 16v engine,which seals the butterfly at idle.

novax
23-12-03, 01:43 PM
Have a read of this

Vaux-MD Tech. pages - Idle (http://vaux-md.net/injection/idle.htm)

Vaux-MD Tech. pages - Idle control (http://vaux-md.net/injection/idlecontrol.htm)