PDA

View Full Version : Nova Arrives Sat...

Hardie
19-12-03, 12:43 AM
My 1.2i Nova will be arriving Sat morning & im just looking to see what things i should be lookin at make sure its not fucked.

Its a K plate, with 50k genuine miles on it. Was previously a grannies pride and joy so come with all the rage wheel trims. Bodywork is in mint condition with not a hint of rust anywhere on it.

Is there anything i should specificly have a look at when i go see it ? Also be basic as im not up to scratch with bits n bobs of the car lol

Cheers

ade
19-12-03, 09:30 AM
if its a k plate and has been well looked after by a granny the only area I'd check is the service history. Check its been well services - has all docs and look for new cam belt at some time (usually changed every 3 yrs).

Will be in service docs.

Grannies (some ) tend to high rev so listen for any unusual knocks. Also if starting from cold - there maybe a knock or two (characteristic of nova engine sometimes) let it warm up.

Body wise, check the rear arches - look at the underside of the arch - the lip - is it bubbling - may indicate future repair job, check around the boot edge both inside and out for signbs of rust.

Engine wise - check oil level, brake fluid level, water level, check for rust around strut tops (suspension posts either side of engine above wheels) - check for anything that looks out of place - there wont be abything but you never know.

Check heater works - centre vents however only blow cold air on novas.

Sounds like youve got a good motor there - if its rust free it'll be a rariety SO LOOK AFTER IT!

Dont go and wrap it around a lamppost! Id love a mint shell.

Enjoy it then mod it subtley

Ade

:roll: 8)

srs1
19-12-03, 05:36 PM
also check the battery tray. water settle there on all novas and they rust there big time.

look after it. as it does sound like a real minter.

pickle
19-12-03, 07:20 PM
check for rust under the doors and under the chassi where the doors are were they usethe jack, sometimes they ar fucedup and rusty! rear arces on novas are very easy to rust and the granny probably didnt get on her hands and knees to cleak the mud off the arch ledge. lift the carpet up n the boot look for damp and things rust wise.try get the car up on a ramp or someting so u can have a look at the floor. looks for welded plates in te enine bay too.

make sure all the pannels are lined up right and check the front slam pannels to se if they are origional, for crashes and things, being granny she will have rammed someone up the ass b4.

fuck the engine, rip it out and put a shiny new spanker in it.

just enjoy it and dont expect too much from it, it is a nova........... but novas rule!

pickle

Phil_G
19-12-03, 07:59 PM
HI,

first place i would be looking at is the local Motor factor and buying every can of waxoyl in the place. then once at home pumping it into every orafice.

IF tis as good as you say it would be a worthwhile investment imo

See if the car is warm when you turn up. If it is then it could be they are trying to hide a cold starting problem with the car. Likewise, look for a cloud of bad smelling blue smoke when you start it. If that appears as it starts, but soon disappears then its probably the valve stem seals. If it doesnt go then it could be worse. ONce running, with only 50K on the clock the motor should be nice and quiet with no loud "ticking" noises.

BEst bet really, is if you have a friend who is a mechanic to head along with you to look it over. could save you a packet in the long run

Phil

Hardie
19-12-03, 11:16 PM
Gutted lads

Guy who had agreed to sell me the car tmorrow morning has went back on his word and sold it tonight wgile i was at work.

Im totally gutted, car was a wee cracker and had it all planned aswell

ade
21-12-03, 01:51 AM
what an absolute C0CK!

:evil:

Oh well - nae worries - theres plenty more out there for good prices.

check out adtrader.co.uk - couple of decent novas by the looks of things

heres one -
Vauxhall Nova 1.4i K registration. 2 door hatchback. MOT one year. White in colour. Alloys wheels. Good condition. ?395 ono. or (eadt-51-4620) Tel: (07092) 400328
Price: ?395.00
Town: Bathgate
Postcode: EH47

where bouts in scotland are u?

Ben3042
21-12-03, 02:17 AM
Make sure she aint left her false teeth in the glove box :lol:

Hardie
21-12-03, 09:49 AM
lol@ false teeth, i hope she has so the wee cow that bought it get a fright n crashes :evil: lol

Im in Kilsyth, not that far from glasgow, about 15min from Strathycruise

Would need to be a 1.2 nova to keep my insurance down