PDA

View Full Version : blown piston ring??

Gunzi
18-12-03, 06:19 PM
My GSi is chugging out serious blue smoke, I have been told that its a piston ring is letting in oil to the cylinder. I was wondering how hard it is to take the engine apart / out so I can get at the fuct bottom end.
I'm gonna do as much work myself as I can but wanna know how much fixing something like this will cost coz its crimbo an I've spent all my cash on presents!
I have a skimmed head cam exhaust manifold k&N. If I put this lot on another bottom end will it blow again?
Does the bottom end have to be rebuilt?
Cheers!!

CP
18-12-03, 09:44 PM
Read the Haynes manual mate.

Yes if its burning oil it very likely means the bottom end is worn out

If you have the bottom end re-built it is likely to cost around ?500 inc ancilliaries.

Your head will fit fine on another block.

2litreturbo
19-12-03, 09:22 AM
if you just want to stop the smoke until you can get another bottom end, them remove the sump and the con rod bolts, keeping them all numbered so you know where everything goes back. Then remove the crank and pull out the piston that is fooked. Replace the ring (speak to burton power in gants hill or gosnays in chadwell heath/gants hill) and then put it all back together. Look inside the cylinder and if there is no scratching or scoring then chances are you dont need a rebuild. Just replace bearings and all rings and put back together. Might also be worth stripping down the oil pump and cleaning.

NovaNeil
19-12-03, 12:00 PM
Could be a valve stem seal......

I thought if a rings gone you get serious amounts of White smoke....Not blue. Blue is useally a seal..........can anyone correct me on this if it is wrong?

Gunzi
19-12-03, 02:07 PM
Cheers for the advice, I have just had the head skimmed and all the valves were reseated (?) 3 weeks ago so I would assume its not that, but its definately very blue smoke!

Aragorn
19-12-03, 06:15 PM
oil is whitish blue
water is white (ie steam)
fuel grey or black

there is some crossover tho - mike o's rings were gone and it gave out white/grey smoke (anyone at trax will remember that)

a lot depends on the actual oil used etc

mc_hawkings
31-12-03, 12:17 AM
fuel grey or black

i had black smoke but i thought that was due to the headgasket being blown out both sides like cam lobes :roll:

mikeoxford
31-12-03, 12:52 AM
dont forget if you re ring REAAAAAAAAALY in an ideal world you should hone the bore a tiny bit to create a seal and bed it in.