PDA

View Full Version : How to pull off the perfect interview.

wisewood
18-12-03, 10:38 AM
Interviews can be quite tricky - but it is something i have always found myself to be quite good at.

Todays interview for the position of IT Technician was, in my humble opinion PERFECT. Never before have i had such a faultless interview. Now i just have to rely on the fact that there is nobody more suited to the job than me from the other two being interviewed and its in the bag.

I was well presented, well spoken, listened to their questions and answered each after a moments pause for thought and answered their question fully, without rambling.

They asked me if i was familiar with the workings of a recruitment agency, which of course I am since my mother is their payroll manager - which was an answer to a later question... and I have worked for them as a temp before, infact i worked for them when i smashed my wrist on a forklift truck back in 1997.

:D

Just waiting to hear form them now. if i find out quickly i will be in the new job 4 weeks on monday :D :D

Dpnova
18-12-03, 10:46 AM
I got an interveiw monday :o First proper one :cry: Ive been set load of things and stuff but im still bricking it a bit

wisewood
18-12-03, 10:51 AM
Be prepared - know as much as possible about the company and what they are about before you go for the interview, if necessary go and get some of their brochures/handouts and read through those.

Know the name of your contact when you get there... and most importantly be on time. Plan how you will get there and how long it will take - and add some time for traffic problems etc onto your journey time.

Make an effort with your appearance - right down to plucking your nasal hair and eyebrows if you're a hairy person :lol: Dont wear a shirt that shows your nipples through it even if only slightly - this time of year is a big problem for pointly nipples and it can be quite distracting :lol:

Dpnova
18-12-03, 10:52 AM
All of my nice shirts show my tattos through :? I might even have a shave for it lol

wisewood
18-12-03, 10:57 AM
Get yourself a black shirt and matching tie from something like asda or M&S if you have some extra cash. Affordable and reasonable quality and wont make you look like a thug or a pikie with tats all over :lol:

Dpnova
18-12-03, 10:59 AM
Yeah i may get a new shirt, as its for a special occasion, wait till im in the door to let on im a thug :P

wisewood
18-12-03, 11:02 AM
exactly!!

i went wearing my "interview" stuff - never wear them for anything else lol. I also had sensible hair, as opposed to the spiked, messyness that usually adorns the top of my head. :lol: although the IT Manager is only 25 and had hair similar to me :lol:

dave.gsi
18-12-03, 11:03 AM
andy, you forgot to scratch your nuts when you went in, then shake the intrviewers hand :roll:

:lol:

Dpnova
18-12-03, 11:05 AM
I might give that a go then, so you rekon scratch your nuts and then shake there hand. :P :lol: :lol:

wisewood
18-12-03, 11:14 AM
I assessed the situation quickly as they approached me in reception and decided that was not the best way forward :lol:

Dpnova
18-12-03, 11:21 AM
I know ive got a bird so instead of shaking hands i might have a scratch and then wipe my hand on her face :lol:

wisewood
18-12-03, 11:23 AM
I had both - IT Manager, male, aged 25... gets on really well with my mum and fancies my sister :lol:
HR Manager, female - late 30's - early 40's... dont know anything about her, seemed nice though lol.

dangermousegsi
18-12-03, 05:03 PM
pass on your sisters phone number that should seal the deal

Stuart
18-12-03, 05:57 PM
lol i had an interview over the phone

"are you aware that you'd be working with armoured vehicles like tanks etc?"

yes

"what experience have you got?"

i worked on a farm, maintaining bits of farmy kit, built race engines and stripped gearboxes etc

"oh ok umm do you want to go on thursday?" lol (this was on tuesday)

wisewood
18-12-03, 06:21 PM
yeah that would have to be one of the better interviews i have heard of - not quite as good as Ben's though...

"can you pick up a box?"
"errr yeah..."
"you start tomorrow then!"

:lol:

epo
18-12-03, 07:05 PM
Dont wear a shirt that shows your nipples through it even if only slightly - this time of year is a big problem for pointly nipples and it can be quite distracting :lol:

depends if it was a bird who i was interviewing

"bit nippy out there is it love"

"you go the job" :lol:

?Marty?
19-12-03, 02:18 AM
for best interview technique, get yourself a copy of Trainspotting, and study study STUDY the scene where Spud has an interview.

Copy him word for word, and action for action (and apearance) and you will do very well indeed.

?Marty?
19-12-03, 02:21 AM
eat LOTS of beans and eggs and etc, and pass as much wind as you can whilst being interviewed. Wear lots of layers of clothng so you look very sweaty. lol

Neil.
19-12-03, 02:24 AM
get ur willy out and shout, im a goblin, eat me now!

?Marty?
19-12-03, 02:28 AM
thats just fuckin stupid, you wont get a good job doing that! freak.

Mark
19-12-03, 07:09 AM
Would be funny though! LOL

Dpnova
19-12-03, 09:09 AM
cos eating eggs and beans and farting will get you a great job :lol:

epo
19-12-03, 08:08 PM
and wizzin ur tits off on a wee dab o speed wont help much either

wisewood
19-12-03, 08:12 PM
all depends what the interview is for.

Ian
20-12-03, 11:27 AM
i worked on a farm, maintaining bits of farmy kit, built race engines and stripped gearboxes etc

they couldnt understand your welsh/posh accent, wait til you get there and they think you have experience with army kit LOL

Mark
20-12-03, 11:55 AM
:o :lol:

wisewood
22-12-03, 10:14 AM
i get the impression he would probably have said "maintaining farming & agricultural equipment" :lol: he just dumbed it down for us.

Mark
22-12-03, 10:41 AM
Yes I am sure he would have said ARMY and agricultural equipment..... :lol: