PDA

View Full Version : question about gsi engine

marchnova
16-12-03, 01:22 PM
oh behalf of a mate:ok, u guys i need some help here, i've just made my mind up to spend a load of money on a second GSi engine that i am getting 4 free, so the money will b going on mods to it.

So wot i want to no is wot have i got to aim for? i want to have the claim of Fastest 1.6 8v nova in the Uk or b one of the fastest!

I want BHP, 1/4Mile time (if run one) top speed, spec, and whose it is! this mite of changed by the time i get rouind to dropping the engine in, but i hope to b running it by mid 2004.

i no most of u are guna say fuck the 1.6 drop a 2ltr in, but i like cheap friendly insurance, which will allow for the engine mods to b declaired!

dan_mk1
16-12-03, 01:24 PM
please say that isnt a ped in your avatar :roll:

Ben
16-12-03, 01:31 PM
Here are a few specs to look at and consider, both are quick, i think Dan done a 14.9 1/4 of a mile and estimates around 7 seconds 0-60

Russ's is a bit of a mystery as he hasnt ran 1/4 mile yet and is planning to show us all next season what he can do. This spec is probably the best 1600 8v on this site (unless anyone disagree's?) I dont count turbo's as i dont regard there peak power being a true indicator.

1650 Rebore/hone block, Pistons, Ground crank, Main bearings, Big-end bearings,Full dynamic engine balance, Lightened flywheel, Faced flywheel, Skimmed block face, Oil pump, Water pump, All gaskets. Blydenstien b+ head,heat wrapped zorst manifold, Helix paddle clutch and cover, kent ast2 cam springs tappets etc etc, twin forties, piper exhaust system, 1.4 sr dizzy/coil, plugs, leads blah blah blah (Dans)

Bowyer Developments 1600 8v engine running on twin 45's and an MBE distributorless management system. Tony Law exhaust manifold + system. Quaife SCCR F13 box with a 90% ZF LSD + 4.5 Cwp (Russ's)

The quickest 1600 8v title is probably going to me the most argued fact over the next 12 months as there are many people rebuilding these engines this winter and most are aiming to try and be the quickest on the 1/4 mile next season. So to build one of the fastest in the counrty is going to be a tough job (not saying your not able) Escpesially with the rally boys like Russ who have amazingly well built engines by people like Swindon and Bowyer.

Mark
16-12-03, 01:35 PM
Well said Ben!

I also believe that the 1600 group will be very hottley fought over next year!

Ben
17-12-03, 03:38 AM
cant belive no one else had any comments on this!

Fester
17-12-03, 03:41 AM
The 2 turbo boys will probably be out and out fastest!

14.5 seconds N/A doable?

Jim
17-12-03, 07:55 AM
If your friend wants the quickest 1/4mile then he's going to have to forget Top Speed. With gear ratios to achieve a quick sprint, you could be looking at a Top Speed of 115mph, maybe less.

Russ' car is probably the best N/A 1.6 8v specification. He's spent a lot of money on the car and uses it for Rallying.

For every day driving cars, Dan's is the quickest 1/4 mile N/A 1.6 8v and currently holds that record at 14.9 secs.

The 2 turbo boys will probably be out and out fastest!

14.5 seconds N/A doable?

Hmmmm, who knows...

Jim

Will
17-12-03, 12:42 PM
:D let the challenge begin, my phase 1 shud be up there with you lot and phase 2 am win ;)

Ben
17-12-03, 12:54 PM
I have a few ideas of who are going to be competing closely.

I do think thought that something serious is going to have to come up to beat Russ's car although am intrested to see how his gearing will suit the 1/4 run.

On the other hand Dan has a very good engine and i cant believe he isnt going to do anything this winter with all this talk of competition coming up.

Jim
17-12-03, 02:32 PM
:D let the challenge begin, my phase 1 shud be up there with you lot and phase 2 am win ;)

Keep dreaming!

Jim

Will
17-12-03, 03:30 PM
nah your allrite jimbo :P

?Marty?
17-12-03, 05:21 PM
i no most of u are guna say fcuk the 1.6 drop a 2ltr in, but i like cheap friendly insurance, which will allow for the engine mods to b declaired!

i would have thought that a valver (unmodified), would have been cheaper to insure than a 1.6 with serious engine mods? Since some ins companies add a percentage for every mod and etc, whilst a transplant would just be one increase.

Dan
17-12-03, 06:17 PM
On the other hand Dan has a very good engine and i cant believe he isnt going to do anything this winter with all this talk of competition coming up.

All mine will get is a quick tuneup. The car was built before my second child came as we knew money wouldnt be there just to throw away after.
I still might do a few runs tho as with only 3 consecutive runs under my belt there still might be more to come with practice.

Hopefully next year i should be outclassed as some engines i know to be very good and the shells will be more pod freindly than mine. The competition isnt a prob lol as the target set is the time i ran this year and i have had my five minutes of fame.

Ben
18-12-03, 03:00 AM
Not even tempted by a mappable ECU? :wink:

Dan
18-12-03, 05:24 PM
nup lol, this did come into question when i sorted the ignition problems i had, but it was a few hundred on mapped ign etc or a freebie 1.4sr dizzy and coil that would do the same job just not quite as accurately. + the fact it took us an hr or so to fit and the next rolling road verdict was we were 1/2 degree out on the timing which also works out alot cheaper than having them mess around and set it up etc etc

MC
19-12-03, 08:36 AM
i would have thought that a valver (unmodified), would have been cheaper to insure than a 1.6 with serious engine mods? Since some ins companies add a percentage for every mod and etc, whilst a transplant would just be one increase.

Yeah, but a standard valver wouldn't be as good as a well tuned 1.6 8v. Fact.