PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 Carb

GOZ
15-12-03, 06:38 PM
Hi my mate has told me i should put a 1.6 cavalier carb onto my 1.4 SR and i was just wondering if the cavalier carb will be a direct replacement for the standard 1.4 carb and also would it cause any problems or will it be ok. The reason my mate advised me on the change is that my automatic choke has gone i think due to the car not being used for ages so he says i will need a new carb anyhow and also that the floats in my carb are no good so with the new one both problems should be solved and the car should be faster he wrekons. Do you think it is worth changing to the cavalier carb?

Ben
15-12-03, 06:47 PM
I always thought that the 1.6 Carb'd cavalier was a very poor carb, could be confused thought.

Philsutton
15-12-03, 06:56 PM
get a carb off a ford XR2, all you will need to fit is an adapter plate. Fords come with webber carbs as standard and are much better.

Aragorn
16-12-03, 12:53 AM
ford xr2 carb is NOT a 32/34dtml

its a different model and its gonna be jetted totally different to the nova requirements

get a weber 32/34 for a nova and you will be fine

GOZ
16-12-03, 03:48 PM
well where would i find a 32/34 on what model? and do ya think ill get one from a scrappy or is it a go to the shop and buy one job? cheers.

_JH_
17-12-03, 07:04 PM
ford xr2 carb is NOT a 32/34dtml

its a different model and its gonna be jetted totally different to the nova requirements

get a weber 32/34 for a nova and you will be fine

i don't mean to start an arguement, but he didn't say it was a dtml. and getting a 32/34dtml (or dmtl whichever way round it is) from a landy, that won't be jetted right for your nova, nor will a 32/34 removed from a different sized engine. you've gotta get the right jetting anyway.

I know that carb is the favourite, but why? was it an idea used initially in autograss? I know some carbs wont suit certain engines depending on their design and the engine characteristics, but everytime someone suggests using something different on here they get told not to.

I'm not sure if it was a pre or post 87 xr2 carb but i know someone who fitted one to a 1.2 nova using an sr manifold around 1990. he had got it from a scrappy and i think it came off a 1.2 write-off. said as far as he can remember there wasn't to much fiddling done to the carb bar the auto choke being removed.

to me, DIY engine modifying is a combination of known benefits and experimentation. I thought the latter was where all the fun came from. after all, whoever fitted a 32/34dtml first didn't know it would be the 'best' surely. (plus dtml's cost money where as xr2 carbs are worth there weight in scrap. not much lol)

rant: off :)

m.d.
17-12-03, 07:37 PM
the xr2 carb can be re jetted to make the nova run perfectly anyway.

rgv_stu
17-12-03, 07:48 PM
the dmtl is used because thats what weber use for most of there direct replacement kits, nova included.

i agree there are better carbs out there, as you say its experimentation. the dmtl is a known worker thats why people recommend it. i have personally found the 34/34 dmtr to be just as good and i think we got that off some scirocco or similar.