PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

wisewood
15-12-03, 11:54 AM
I am not happy in my current job, and haven't been for quite some time. This job is quite secure although there is some uncertainty about the future of this depot in the next 12 months or so.

I have an interview on Thursday, having been selected for the final three to take a position on a 6 month fixed term contract, which will be reviewed after 6 months to decided if they need to extend the contract or not. The pay is ?1000 per year less than i am on at the moment, however this is a dream IT job for me at the moment, doing loads of cool IT stuff and travelling to the 14 locations in the north where the company has offices.

I know this company is strong and the people there are nice - i know this because my mother is their payrol manager to i have been speaking to people at their head office where my mum is based for several years, and with them being a recruitment agency i have also worked for them before in various capacities. It was actually a job from this company that i was on when i smashed my wrist back in 1997 :lol:

So - is it worth taking a pay cut of ?1000 per year, and taking a 6 month contract to get into a job that i really want??? I just cant decide.

The new job would help me in my studies towards microsoft certification, which will in turn help me to get further work ... the only really bad thing about it is that it is only a 6 month contract.

HELP!

Dpnova
15-12-03, 12:07 PM
Mate, the new contract will send you down the right track but in six months time if they say that your not needed then you have to find some way of paying the bills or your end up back in a roll like you are currently in, six months experiance in it is good but it isnt an awful lot. Its a gamble, in my situation i would take it but then i have hardly any out goings a month.

wisewood
15-12-03, 12:33 PM
Well i have experience already, so an extra six months would be a top-up for that really... and with it being a recruitment agency getting more work at the end of it i dont see being much of a problem to be honest. My missus earns more than i do, so me not working for a few weeks wouldnt be such a big deal, but it would need to be sorted asap to save me being scalped lol.

I just dont know, like i said the 6 month contract is the only downside as far as i am concerned. Need to decide though coz i dont wanna say "Thanks very much, gimme a couple of days ot think about it and i'll get back to you" if they offer me the job.

Dpnova
15-12-03, 12:35 PM
Go for it 8) Its all good to get the experiance

wisewood
15-12-03, 12:41 PM
Would be nice... we shall see - might not seem such a good deal after the interview anyway. gonna make sure i take in a great big list of questions for them to answer - i already have a job so wanna make sure they are gonna be any good.

Dpnova
15-12-03, 12:45 PM
ive applied for a few over the net and then when they ring me and tell me the job description im like, no thank you. They seem to be very miss leading. Ive got a yrs experiance in it, my current title is it assistant. Which is good but i still have trouble finding anything decent. I rekon do the interveiw and like you said ask loads of questions. then as long as your happy go for it.

wisewood
15-12-03, 12:55 PM
Well i actually applied for a job through them a month ago, but never made the interview stage as the company filled the position internally before the recruitment agency could make a short list. So when this job came up they phoned me on friday night but i was still at work so the woman phoned back yesterday and told me all about it, but i already know coz i read it on their website on saturday morning.
Phoned mum at work this morning to tell her about the interview etc and she said she suspected I might be offered one as she over heard someone saying they might as well use the shortlist they were going to use for the other IT job.
At least working for a recruitment agency i am in the best possible position to get work afterwards as they will know me, and the way i work as well as anyone could do, so any jobs that come up i wouldnt really need to worry about impressing them in an interview so much as they already know me.

Dpnova
15-12-03, 01:00 PM
It sounds v good if you get it :P I wouldnt be to worried about what happens after 6 months, if they dont find you a job im sure you will be able to get one pretty sharpish

linzTDI
15-12-03, 01:23 PM
Andy 1000 cut is nothing as mel has her job now and you wouldnt notice the difference as you will be getting 2 incomes.

6 month down the line if they do not want you they may recomend you to someone else thats what happenes where i work they find you another job when your contracts up.

If they dont do this then just start applying for jobs again when your 5 months into the contract

sh0rty
15-12-03, 10:15 PM
tbh...don't think about the contract time. It's a job you'd love to do and if it only lasts for 6 months then so what? If you don't take it you'll be wondering "what if" and it sure could develop onto a perm post.

epo
15-12-03, 10:49 PM
tbh mate money isnt everything uve got 2 be happy in a job and if its what u want got 4 it

if u dnt get it after 6 months give me a shout u could come be my apprentice :lol:

Neil.
16-12-03, 12:43 AM
go for it andy, u only live once and 'what ifs' take up too much time. go for it mate.

wisewood
16-12-03, 10:47 AM
to be honest being the understudy to the IT manager who is about my age, and fancies the pants of my sister could be quite a bit of fun anyway :lol:

epo
16-12-03, 06:38 PM
to be honest being the understudy to the IT manager who is about my age, and fancies the pants of my sister could be quite a bit of fun anyway :lol:

u cud say 2 him right am takin the rest of the day off if u let me ill give u the first 3 didgits of her phone number

OR

workin late 2 night dont think so U do want me 2 put a gud word in 4 u with my sis dont u :lol:

wisewood
16-12-03, 06:59 PM
naaa... wouldnt be fair on him, he doesnt stand a chancee coz he just aint her type at all.

Stuart
16-12-03, 10:19 PM
andy come to germany with me to fix tanks :D

oh and btw ?1K a year is about ?20 a week, not overly noticeable

wisewood
17-12-03, 10:34 AM
Yeah i know mate i done all the maths before i agreed to the interview lol.

Would love to come to germany and fix tanks mate, it'd be great!!
however i dont think it'd be a good idea letting me loose fixing machines designed to blow things up lol... a soldering iron & screw driver in my hands is bad enough! :lol:

you heard anything about that yet? you deffo off to germany or not?