PDA

View Full Version : new engine....cant wait!!

Fergie_sfc
14-12-03, 12:48 PM
jus said yes to rs (lil bit of poetry) for his 1.6 GTE engine.

having the engine, gearbox, brakes, fuel tank, fuel pumps and leads, radiator, exhaust, engine mounts(if there not rusted) think thats everything.

regal are puttin it in for me, thought 'if i'm spending all that money i might as well make sure its put in proper.

gonna mod the engine hardcore:
Ramair filter, gold spark leads + plugs, superchip, large throttle bodies, power boost valve, lightened flywheel (if there is one for the 1.6), and anything else that will make it fly.

last mod but definetly not least, difect port nitros. dunno how much of a shot yet, probably bout 40-50bhp, not too much but not too little. gonna try and make it a proper quick 1600 that all you valver boys will be scared of.

any decent mods that i've missed out there that you guys can think of?

Fergie.

Ste_Nova
14-12-03, 12:57 PM
any decent mods that i've missed out there that you guys can think of?

Fergie.

yeh... don't get regal to fit it

Slatter
14-12-03, 01:21 PM
yeah fergie ... your forgettign all the INTERNAL mods that actually make the difference.... not just bolt on one like exhaust/ filter which basically do fcuk all !!!

epo
14-12-03, 01:22 PM
fast road cam and different head
quick shift

also a 1600 engine will only handle 50 bhp shot of no2 wont it

Fester
14-12-03, 01:47 PM
should be good fun after it's fitted! Nice one fergie

Stanton
14-12-03, 02:39 PM
ul need rod bolts and u cud dry sump it. depends how far u wanna go.

ask dan, hes got the best spec 1600 get his spec an beat it! :lol:

shud be quick wen done.

Mark
14-12-03, 03:12 PM
Nice one Fergie!

fearless
14-12-03, 04:43 PM
Why not fit it yourself - Simple enough to do - straight swap !!

Stanton
14-12-03, 04:56 PM
not reli straight, his is a 1.0 so a new mount wud have to be made.

Stuart
14-12-03, 05:03 PM
Twin 40's, Lightened and balanced bottom end, Lairy Cam, Gas Flowed head mit bigger valves, 4 Branch Manifold, +1mm overbore, and to beat dan a mappable ign ecu. (but you wont beat bigruss appart from you nos bit lol)

oh and no ghey body kit on the car to weigh it down. nor any homo ice/neons etc.

and get velos to fit it lol

novax
15-12-03, 12:53 PM
Sounds like you've got good intensions but the guys are right, it's all the internals that make the difference, get it all balanced, not just the flywheel lightened, it's light as it is. You can't superchip it if you're using TBs as you'll need a new ECU. If you're using the Dbilius TBs with standard management I'm not sure it'll work well either as your airflow will be different, might be OK tho.

Forget NOS unless you totally re-build the engine

Q: Why would you need to "Make" a new mount? Over the last year we've fitted a 1.3SR engine and 1.4SR engine into PhilMs Nova runaround (don't ask). They have the same engine mounts as the GTE on the block, went straight in.

Ben
15-12-03, 01:24 PM
It really is a straight forward swap, even i can mange that one, if you struggle to do this then you are in a good place to do it, ask Dan/Twag etc they can do this easily without incurring huge fitting charges.

If your going for the Dbilas Throttle bodies-dont bother there poo, better of with twin 40's for a 1/3rd of the price and better BHP gains.

I cant see why you would need to make a new mount either, not sure if the 1.0l are slightly different to the 1.6 but they are readily availble and most people who brake cars have lots of spares etc just lying round.

I also wouldnt bother fitting the plugs/filter etc etc until the car is in and running, then when you know its all good then spend thge extra money and give it a decent service.

Most off the shelf parts will do just a good a job as expensive add on bits as long as you service it regulary should be fine.

How many people really do spend ?70 on a set of fancy HT leads???

Dave
15-12-03, 01:30 PM
what about the massive insurance premium you'll be paying when you declair all the mods to the engine to the insurance company??

epo
15-12-03, 09:58 PM
sorry 2 go off topic
but white nova your signitures have me in stiches every time u change em :lol:

Stanton
15-12-03, 10:12 PM
Fergie, if ure readin this ure n-gines cummin out this weekend.

will be stored for ya :P

dan16v
15-12-03, 10:28 PM
fergie to give you an idea me and twag converted his 1.2 into a late spec gsi engine in 1day and labour cost was ?0

and in my opinion id never do all those mods to a 1.6 when for the ?? you could have a 16v!

as for insurance, put the engine in and get a quote after :lol:

Stanton
15-12-03, 10:34 PM
he cud get the ngine in and convert it to 16v with a 16v head etc at a later date. there are loadsa options reli

TWAG
15-12-03, 10:37 PM
ha ha, letting regal fit it!

TWAG
15-12-03, 10:51 PM
not reli straight, his is a 1.0 so a new mount wud have to be made.

This aint really a problem, companys like regal just like you to think this so they can charge you another ?500!!!!!

Fergie, how much you paying to have this done?

dan16v
15-12-03, 10:56 PM
i just cant see the point in it why even bother to convert it to a 16v later? just bung in a 2ltr 16v to begin with its the cheapest way in the long run, none of this tuning and getting shite mpg etc you have the power there from the start with the 2ltr

every one seems to make this mistake, even when i had the 2ltr 16v it only stayed in 6months as it was also boring, i just think it saves wasted money and dissapointment

Stanton
15-12-03, 10:56 PM
tru the mount isnt a major headache but it does complecate the job further.

have u had ne work done by regal then? u seem quite "upset" (for want of a better word lol)

eveyones entitled to thier opinions but i what ures is based on?

TWAG
15-12-03, 11:02 PM
nah, but a few good friends have.

one who had exhaust fitted with cable ties..........lol

Dan
15-12-03, 11:03 PM
none of this tuning and getting s**t mpg

*cough* *splutter* 30mpg + isnt s**t fuel economy thats just an old wives tale

TWAG
15-12-03, 11:06 PM
o,yeah and the same person had a valver conversion in his mk3 astra, 2weeks later and the cambelt snaped...........

o,yeah and they cracked his sideskirt off, then resprayed it with 2tone paint instead of 5 tone.......

Stanton
15-12-03, 11:09 PM
30 mpg???

:o

mikesri
15-12-03, 11:37 PM
lmao!!

Fergie if you want power and want to stay up there with the faster novas, just bite the bullet n do a 2.0 16v converstion! It wont just save you the money, but it'll save you the hastle when you bored of the 1.6!

Also get dan n twag to help ya fit it and you've saved yourself ????!

Waste of money payin some company to do it!!! when it can be done just as good if not better elsewhere! :wink:

Your choice at the end of the day n this is just my opinion! :wink:

think carefully before you do it m8!!

AnThoNYnOvA
16-12-03, 12:23 AM
my local garage is fitting the full 2.0 8v for ?150 including gearbox mounts shafts etc so not that bad really

Ben
16-12-03, 03:36 AM
What you are better off doing is fitting the standard GTE engine and being happy with that, then modding it you will get more pleasure this way than going straight into lots of money and work.

For fun and more useable power i prefer the seriously modified 1600 8v than the standard 2.0l 16v anyday.

Will
16-12-03, 02:31 PM
valver and roundabts fast

1600 8v and roundabts fast

nuff said ;)

1600 8v is a fun weapon, an engine vaux intended to be in a nova made fast is cool :D

Im another member of the 1.6 8v N/A group tho :oops: :oops:

Will
16-12-03, 02:33 PM
p.s. fergie are you 19 yet?

p.p.s. how much is this conversion cause last time i spoke to you u were looking to spend 3 grand on a 1.6 16v conversion with regal or similar? :roll: :? :? :?

dan16v
16-12-03, 05:21 PM
fergie i hear regal want ?600 for fitting?

for ?600 me and twag will do the following

supply a 1.4sri engine with late spec dis pak, 1.6gsi head, the head will be totaly re-built inc de coked, re seated valves and polished and ported, as will the inlet plenium
all new gaskets, cam belt, de coked pistons, new oil filter, fuel tank and pump all fitted up to drive away

were also supply and fit a mint sri interior inc clocks and wire you in a rev counter if you dont have one?
and supply the matching sri boot spoiler

even throw in a k&n :lol:

mikesri
16-12-03, 06:12 PM
do the above that is a bargin!! :wink:

Ben
16-12-03, 06:37 PM
?600? Is that supply and fitting?

Nova GTE 1600 8v engine with loom, starter, altenator, ECU, loom-?100
Nova F13CR gearbox Between ?40-50 depending where.
Fuel tank ?20
Fuel pump ?10-20 depending where from

Any fairly decent mechanic would do it in about 3-4 hours for the complete conversion, a fairly priced one at around ?15-20 per hour

For less than ?300 you could buy and fit a GSi/GTE engine without calling on anyone for help or asking people for favours.

Just ring round a few garages, a lot of car breakers offer fitting service as well.

Even if they get it all fitted then you asked someone like Dan to come round and wire it all in for ?20 you are looking around ?250 for the lot.

TWAG
16-12-03, 11:43 PM
fergie i hear regal want ?600 for fitting?

for ?600 me and twag will do the following

supply a 1.4sri engine with late spec dis pak, 1.6gsi head, the head will be totaly re-built inc de coked, re seated valves and polished and ported, as will the inlet plenium
all new gaskets, cam belt, de coked pistons, new oil filter, fuel tank and pump all fitted up to drive away

were also supply and fit a mint sri interior inc clocks and wire you in a rev counter if you dont have one?
and supply the matching sri boot spoiler

even throw in a k&n :lol:

We will also fit electic windows and central locking, anti roll bars and cav gsi front brakes!

What more can you ask for!

Phil_G
17-12-03, 12:11 AM

a six foot swedish blonde with nice tits and a twin sister? :lol: :lol:

Phil

Mark
17-12-03, 01:22 PM

Phil

Yep, that would make me part with my money!!

TWAG
17-12-03, 04:38 PM

Phil

True :lol:

Ben
17-12-03, 04:43 PM

Phil

That enjoy incest would be good.

Fergie_sfc
17-12-03, 05:59 PM
well, i'm very dissapointed!!

spoke to insurance company today at 3:20 and they said 'ahh, jus give us ?2200 a year and we'll insure you on the 1.6 with exhaust, filter and your novadose bodykit, with alloys and lowered 60mm.

so sorry rs but i cant afford to run the 1.6, sorry to waste your time mate. i'll chat to ya on friday if your there when the exhaust is fitted......hopefully not with cable ties!!! lol.

sorry again mate, fcukin insurance companies!!

Fergie.

Dave
18-12-03, 03:23 PM
what about the massive insurance premium you'll be paying when you declair all the mods to the engine to the insurance company??

hate to say it but ...........told you so :D

Ben
18-12-03, 04:00 PM
I smell something...

Mark
18-12-03, 04:52 PM
mooooooooooooooooooo! :lol:

Aragorn
19-12-03, 11:01 AM
what insurance company are u with??

dans offer of the 1.4 would prolly be MUCH better

most companies dont haev a problem with the sri lump as its only group 7 and with those mods its gonna match/beat standard gsi anyway

the 1.o part of it aint an issue - just use a 1.2-1.6 osf engine mount bracket and away u go - the mounts on the car is no different its only the L shaped bracket that changes

Fergie_sfc
20-12-03, 11:01 AM
its the fact that i'm changing the engine thats the problem. there not happy with me doing it and i rang round a few other places and again they weren't happy.

even to a 1.2 they wont let me do it or even to a smaller engine caus its an engine transplant and i've been told that insurance companies dont like caus so much can go wrong.

anyone know any decent places where i might get insured on the 1.6 or if not then the 1.4?

Fergie.