PDA

View Full Version : Faulty E16SE head?

Topbuzz
12-12-03, 11:33 PM
I've just bought a 2nh hand E16SE head for my Nova GTE. I've cleaned it all up and the prevous owner said there was some head work done on it, namly "Waisted three angle valves and new seats, new cut down bronze guides, skimmed, ported and flowed".

But looking carefully, I noticed this (what looks like) a hair line crack, on all 4 inlet ports by the valve seats

http://uploader.co.uk/images/day61_01.jpg

with the type of work done, is this to be expected?
At first it looks like the porting/grinding may have been too much and come into contact with (say) the water jacket?

Cheese
13-12-03, 01:47 PM
Doesn't look good, you'll have to take it to an engine builder and see what they think its repairable, or just get another one :?

m.d.
13-12-03, 01:49 PM
dont worry its just where they havent cut enough material away there and you can still see the origional casting marks. if more head work had been done there would not be any lines showing. ive just finished doing my own head and there was loads of these untill id finished it

Topbuzz
13-12-03, 02:15 PM
Been talking to Oddball on migweb. He has the same marks on his c20xe head were new seats have been cut in. It seems to be marks left behind in the fitting of new valve seats. I took another look at the marks, but its not deep, more of a gouge rather than a crack. Its on all 4 inlet ports, all in the same place, none inthe exhasut port area. so there is nothing wrong wit the head.....pheeew.

Ben
13-12-03, 04:48 PM
That is an excellent quality pictur, what camera did you use?

Topbuzz
13-12-03, 05:54 PM
That is an excellent quality pictur, what camera did you use?

I used my old digital Fujifilm DX-8. I used a maglite through the inlet port to give enough light as macro has no flash. but ironically, my new digital camera, Fujifilm MX-1200 is crap in macro mode, almost totally usless.