PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Steering Column

Beano
10-12-03, 03:18 PM
My steering column is knackered, and needs replacing. I've got a replacement ready to go in, im just not sure how hard it would be, and whether I should attempt it myself.

I have extremely limited knowledge of cars, no haynes manual (but i will probly buy one soon!) but i'm sort of mechanically minded.

What do you reckon, try it or pay someone to do it?

2litreturbo
10-12-03, 04:21 PM
it's easy. Take off the shroud around the top of the column, and then remove the wiper and indicator stalks. Then at the base of the column just behind the pedals you will see a 13mm bolt that clamps the column into the steering rack. undo that. Then at the top of the column, on the underside there are four (i think) bolts that need undoing. After that, it just lifts striaght. If you need the steering wheel off the old column, take that off first. Also, you will need to keep your ignitiont barrel off the old one otherwise you will need the key for the new one. Mind, you cant get the barrel out without the key, so if you dont have the key for the old one, you will have to drill it out. Doesn't take long. Use a 8-10mm drill bit near to edge of the upermost slot.

Hope this helps

mikeyredtop
10-12-03, 04:33 PM
arnt they snap off bolts if i remember!

Beano
10-12-03, 05:02 PM
Sounds relatively easy. Anything I should watch out for? Or anything that I could seriously (and easily) fook up if I dont really know what im doing and i'm making it up as I go along?

A mate of mine (Who I trust about as far as I can throw him) said something about undoing one bolt, and then having to snap off some other ones... :? maybe i'll have a poke around tonight, if it's not to cold. :lol:

Dicko
10-12-03, 05:33 PM
yup 1 side is a snap off bolt!!

i used a hammer+chisel to get mine off!!

from there its pretty simple. but a haynes manaul would be very usefull if your in-experiecned!

mikeyredtop
10-12-03, 05:36 PM
i new it was snap off its the left one as i remember, i used a grinder..

Beano
10-12-03, 06:04 PM
Cheers guys. I'll let you know how badly I fook it up, then you can all point and laugh! :lol:

Barn
10-12-03, 08:44 PM
just wondering...how do u replace the snap off bolts?

mikeyredtop
11-12-03, 01:28 AM
with new ones, although i had to put a big washer on as the nut bites the soft alluminium and could slip through...