PDA

View Full Version : turbo or carbs??

dangermousegsi
10-12-03, 01:26 PM
Im going to be buying a gsi in the next month or so due to my calibra fallin apart and im looking to fiddle with the engine, the problem i have is it will be an everyday car and it will spend a lotta time on the motorway.

What i would like to know is: should i leave the engine pretty standard due to the mileage i do? what would be less problematic if i do go ahead turbo or carbs? which offers better performance?

Ste_Nova
10-12-03, 01:43 PM
my mway mile muncher is just 1.4sr with minor non reliability reducing mods (carb/zorst/filter)

i did 1500mile in it last week... takes lots of abuse long oil change times, off road use, hours at 5000+ rpm, etc etc

mod it lots and the reliability goes down and you can't abuse it as much

Stuart
10-12-03, 05:02 PM
if you do a lot of motorway mileage, then consider buying a similar car to the calibra, eg cav/senator/omega (they are so cheap its unreal)

and then maybe get a small car for fun at a later date.

Philsutton
13-12-03, 06:06 PM
turbos always seem to have problems with them, plus you cant beat the sound of twin carbs at full throttle. :lol:

novax
15-12-03, 10:15 AM
Turbos are a bit heavy and you'd need to seriously strengthen the shell to take it. If you're thinking of an engine swap then a 1.6 16v is the engine of the moment, and with good reason. if you want bigger power then Throttle bodies are the way to go. I say this because you get the advantages of injection system technology and the direct air feed advantages of the carbs. It's not cheap but neither is carbs if done properly