PDA

View Full Version : Gsi engine problems.

Zak16v
08-12-03, 08:57 PM
Hey,

so i have got my gsi on the road and it runs Ok, but some times when im driving it just dies.

Like on sat nite i broke down and i tried for ages to fire it up with jump leads, nothing.

I got a tow down the road and when i got home i fired it over and it started first time, then i drove away and as is shifted to second the engine just gradually lost power before cutting out and refusing to start.

And when i drive about the ecu light on my digidash comes on and off, and whenever i give it hard gas it lights up and i hear a strange crackling sound coming from the engine, and a rasping out the back box and there is little power, and as i slow at junctions it sometimes cuts out completely.

Also when it is sitting idling it seems to hunt through the revs, they gradually go up to say 2500 and then the engine drops right down and almost cuts out completely.

Really strange im 99% sure the car aint gettin all power down.

????

Rich Dale
09-12-03, 04:12 AM
I've had the same probs in the past with different Novas (and my current Cav)

One thing that sprung to mind was damp ignition....then I thought carb freezing but since you have a GSi, you won't have a carb(s) (or do you?)

Then I thought "engine temp sensor".....which caused me probs on my GTE with dodgy running in cold, damp weather.

Since you mentioned the ECU warning light, I'm thinking it has to be something to do with the injection system, rather than the ignition, which isn't controlled by the ECU on the 91GSi

On my Cav, I had probs with cutting out sometimes and at other times, the revs would shoot up and stay at 2000rpm before gradually dropping back down again.
I replaced the engine temp sensor, which helped immensely (as it did on my GTE), but the main thing that sorted the probs was adjusting the TPS.
I can't remember off hand (it's over a year since I sold my GTE), but from memory, you can't adjust the TPS on the Nova?

It could be a dodgy fuel pressure regulator?

Dirty/blocked fuel filter?

The symptoms are also like I had on my old A-reg 1.2L when the carb was on it's way out......but again, you have injection, so it can't be that.

Sorry if that's not much help....just brain storming and it's 4am (time for bed!)

novax
09-12-03, 10:57 PM
As above, engine temp sensor. This is the most important sensor after revs and airflow. Also check your wiring to the airflow meter, if it's not plugged in right it'll do this. TPS can be adjusted but only to set the angle, read your Haynes manual it's easy to do.

Have a look here (http://vaux-md.net//injection/injec-intro.htm). It's not finished yet but will help

craig green
12-12-03, 02:26 PM
Ive had similar probs on my GSi. It was ign for me. Check dizzy cap n rotor arm. Make sure the leads fit properly to your pugs, cap n coil. Mine were a carp fit and were arcing out. Check plug gap too (0.6mm)??
Get sum PC circuit board cleaner/spray & do all the loom plugs etc. Dont use WD40!!
My ign was runnin 22,000v on HT side. When all this was sorted I was back to 13,000v. Much better.

Good luck dude..