PDA

View Full Version : help needed on removing engine

djp_y2k
08-12-03, 05:23 PM
hope someone can help.

I'm about to remove my engine (Nova GTE)

Want to know will i need to take off the tie bars to get the engine out and fit the 2.0l 16v.

If i do remove them, will the front end of the car collapse if you get wot i mean.

Any advice would be great please.

Thanks

Dan

stugsi
08-12-03, 07:23 PM
as long as you don't drop the car as the wheels will have no support

put the car on axle stands where you would jack it up as i done

iv'e had my engine out bout four times now

just a question how are you getting the engine out are you just going to drop the engine to the floor and pull it out or lift it up and out

djp_y2k
08-12-03, 07:46 PM
So if i remove the tie bars, I will need to have it on axle stands.

I am going to lower the engine and pull it out through the bottom. Then put the 2.0l in from the bottom as that is wot everyone has said to do.

cheers

Dan

djp_y2k
08-12-03, 07:46 PM
So if i remove the tie bars, I will need to have it on axle stands.

I am going to lower the engine and pull it out through the bottom. Then put the 2.0l in from the bottom as that is wot everyone has said to do.

cheers

Dan

Euan
08-12-03, 09:10 PM
when i remove mine i was just gonna hire a crane. is this a bad idea.

if not sure my trolley jack goes up far enough to slide an engine under!

tonydry
08-12-03, 10:20 PM
hi dan when i toke the gsi out we got it on axle stands wheels off anti roll bar off tie bars off udid all wireing pipeing ect make sure u undo the gear linkage as i will bend when u drop the engine we toke rear engine mount off first then put a jack under engine removed the other 2 mounts then lowered the jack

djp_y2k
09-12-03, 02:24 PM
cheers guys.

So i dont really need an engine crane to remove the engine, just to put the new one in.

That should make things a bit easier if so.

Ben
09-12-03, 06:13 PM
It is possible to fit new one without crane but a lot easier with one, just more messing around wiuthout.

Putting in and removing from underneath is definately the way to go, is a piece of piss.

On a car were scrapping can remove a GSi engine in about an hour, on a car were swapping the engines on that at least doubles.

Dont normally bother taking the tie bars off as theres no need, engine will slide out the side quite easily. Only do that if removing the complete anti roll bar to sell as well.

Also i find the best thing to do when fitting is lift the engine into the bay (from underneath) with the crane then put a trolley jack underneath to use to slide arund into position as its easier to manouvere than on the crane.

mowgli
09-12-03, 07:48 PM
it helps a lot if you remove the front bumper/spoiler. not only do you remove the risk of damage, and gain more access, but if you stick some metal bars in the bumper holes, the front of the car can be lifted up like a wheelbarrow, allowing you to unbolt the whole engine/gbox assy complete with suspension and move the rolling shell out of the way. I did it with a friend of mine, and we had no trouble lifting it. we also had no money for a crane...