PDA

View Full Version : Breakdown recovery gen?

Jules
08-12-03, 01:32 AM
As my previous roadside assistance has now expired with my insurance and the (insurance) company I'm now with with didn't offer me any (and I forgot to ask) I'll be wanting some kind of AA / RAC/ Green Flag roadside recovery type thing, more for peace of mind than anything else really.

So, does anyone have any recommendations, prices or info they'd like to share?
Danke in advance!!

:D

Adam Moran
08-12-03, 08:50 AM
Ive been with Green Flag and AA, defently staying with the AA.

Like you say just peace of mind. I'm quite capable of changing a wheel but when i blow my gearbox up a Santa Pod i could do with a lift home :wink:

Ad

Jim
08-12-03, 09:11 AM
I've never had any problems with the AA. Sometimes they can take a while, but you have to expect it on the odd occasion. Fortunatley I've only ever called them out 3 times and in each instance it's been for somebody elses car...I really am too nice a person sometimes ;)

Jim

Breeny
08-12-03, 09:34 AM
I'm with RAC. Never had any problems with them, called them out on 1 or 2 occasions.

Most are the same to be honest.. in my experience if i need to call them, I'll need to get the car recovered instead of fixed.. (But then 3rd party companies do all the work)

Tazzy
08-12-03, 09:45 AM
I was told to avoid the AA!

apparently, they try to flog you a battery even though you dont need it, even if the breakdown isnt the fault of the battery!

and even then, they will try to kill off the battery so you have to buy a battery from them as they have to sell a certin ammount of batteries in a certain ammount of time!

Ste_Nova
08-12-03, 09:56 AM
lol they wouln't get to fuck with my battery... i'd want to use their tools or truck.... not their know how

dangermousegsi
08-12-03, 12:49 PM
the AA are pretty damm good

it was the RAC not the AA that try to kill off your battery then sell you a new one

they got caught by watchdog

Ian
08-12-03, 10:10 PM
id go with AA everytime, they have been straight out when ive snapped driveshafts at pod and at chester, at pod within 15 mins when someone had been waiting hour and half for rac. been out when gearbox mount snapped in warrington quickly also and when it got crashed, all quickly no hassle and sent a low loader as requested

locky
08-12-03, 10:19 PM
RAC were good for me when i broke down, although the car couldnt get on the spec cos it s too low lol, had to send for a retractable flatbed!

dave.gsi
09-12-03, 12:32 AM
joined the aa the other week, hopefully wont need them (fingers crossed lol)

more for peace of mind really.

another thing, do you have to wait till your car actually breaks before you can call them out or can you call them when it starts to go tits up and you think its gonna break?

?Marty?
09-12-03, 12:45 AM
It depends on the type on cover. They offer advice on various matters too, rather than just rocovery/fixing of cars.

I've been with the AA for 6 years, and will continue to do so.
Used them quite a bit when i was driving about in my first car (1.2 Merit shitter) as it constantly broke down and my technical knowledge was zero.

Now i am actually quite able with a spanner, i haven't had to ring them for over two years. But it's good to have just in case, and the person is a member, rather than the car, so i can help others out. Should i wish to do so.

Though they havent allways been completely reliable to be honest, but more so than what i've been told of the others.

Phil_G
09-12-03, 07:30 PM
RAC get thumbs up for me :)

Phil

epo
09-12-03, 08:20 PM
dont spend ur money on jeans or sum ginger git with a goatee will take the piss

id recomend the AA were well helpfull at pod 4 me always bin with them

Ste_Nova
10-12-03, 11:03 AM
all quickly no hassle and sent a low loader as requested

not allways low enough.... lol planks of wood at warrtington :lol: