PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for overheating?

nova_rally
06-12-03, 07:01 PM
Ok, well my car's been 'repaired' and runs sweet - well at least for 10 minutes before it just overheats again. It's just had a new set of hoses and the water pump's fine - so what other reason is there? The head appears to be fine...

At the moment it's looking like new engine time, but I don't want to unless absolutely necessary! (engine only ?25!, but I dunno how good it is, or even what it is!)

Alan

Ste_Nova
06-12-03, 07:57 PM
does it overheat while it's been driven??

does the fan come on?

nova_rally
07-12-03, 08:51 PM
Yep, overheats no matter what.

Fan's on as well! :?

Is it possible that it's the radiator? That aint been checked as far as I know? I'm hoping it's not the head! (although if it is, then I guess it's agood time to slap a 1.3 version on! :idea: )

Alan

PE4
07-12-03, 08:54 PM
If its not the head gaasket leaking check everywhere for a coolant leak, a cracked header tank can easily lead to the water bubbling over, if there is air getting into the system, and loosing pressure as a result you will suffer from heat.
hth

Steve

nova_rally
07-12-03, 09:18 PM
All new coolant lines already fitted, coolant header tank looks ok, but I havent had it out for a detailed examination. original problem (or so we thought) was a split top hose - smeone had taped it up (but we hadnt noticed) so when we tried driving home it just gave way and overheated VERY badly - boiled all the water, evaporated the oil and what oil was left disappeared via a knackered head gasket.

It's just been given a new Head gasket, hoses and the head checked for warping. It LOOKS ok, but I've been told there could be a hairline crack?

So shall I find a 1.3SR head? :?

Alan

novax
07-12-03, 10:37 PM
Just a thought but have you tryed a new thermostat? Convection might be enough to heat the water in the rad and trip the fan but is it moving around the engine. I'm not convinced about this as I've not seen the car but it might be worth doing anyway if you've just bought the car.

Aragorn
07-12-03, 11:02 PM
does the rad get hot?

if so is it evenly hot all over or are there any cold spots??

maybe try opening the temp sender nipple to see if there is any air stuck in there

cooling fan might have been "hotwired" to stay on all the time

Barn
07-12-03, 11:52 PM
just a thought....have you checked the oil?

rgv_stu
08-12-03, 09:45 AM
take the stat out and see if it still overheats

nova_rally
08-12-03, 10:24 AM
I'll try the Stat this afternoon - One last attempt before the search for a 1.3SR head begins!

The coolant is definitely moving around the engine - I'm personally hoping it's the rad coz I don't want to shell out for another gasket set and a new head!

1 thing I did notice before when we tried driving it home the first time was that when you went round roundabouts the temp gauge went nuts - went to the right and it went all the way into the red and then went right to the blue when we left the roundabout! Does that help indicate anything?

Alan

Ste_Nova
08-12-03, 12:22 PM
what engine is it????

why fit a 1.3head?

nova_rally
08-12-03, 04:58 PM
1.4SR

Just bought an Astra 1.3 Engine and gearbox to replace it.

Alan