PDA

View Full Version : Back Seats

Beano
05-12-03, 10:29 AM
My back seats are starting to look a bit rotten. Luckily i have some nice new (kind of) SR seats (burberry looking ones, nice :lol: )

Problem is that the seat thats in there is one long seat, and the SR seat is split in half. I hope that makes sense. What I wanna know is what it would take to put the split seat in, as there is no bracket to attach it to in the back... :? okay, that was the worst explaination of anything ever, but hopefully someone will understand!

Also, how the hell do you get the back seats out, cus the only option i can see at the moment is with a hacksaw... :|

And theres a poll for a laugh. (even though you're all gonna say its a matter of opinion, i want your opinions!)

jkhilton
05-12-03, 10:39 AM
the seats are easy to remove from the back of a nova, the bench part has the 2 little hooks on the front and the back bit you just have to undo a screw near the actual axle type piece at the end of the seat and then lift them out.

if it has a split fold seat, then it is just as easy, but with a few extra bits of plastic in the middle to undo.

Beano
05-12-03, 10:47 AM
I cant get the back rest out. The bar that hold it in runs the length of the seat, and goes into two brackets at the side of the car. I can get the seat itself out, just not the back rest.

jkhilton
05-12-03, 10:54 AM
it's ages sinnce I have removed a single piece rear seat, but I'm sure it wasn't too hard to do. can you not tilt the seat forward?

Also, is the bar you are referring to the one that goes into the little slots at the bottom edge of the seat? if so, then it should still lift out after removing the little plastic bits that are there to stop it lifting up.

Beano
05-12-03, 11:45 AM
Sounds like the bar im talkin about. I tried to pull the plastic bits out, but they wouldnt budge. Im tempted to go in with a hammer.

Now i think about it, i only really tried to pull out one side of the seat...maybe the other side is easier.
Cheers for your help!

Mark
05-12-03, 01:00 PM
There are little split pin clips in the bar at the ends, remove these, push the plastic cone back and lift seat up and out...

Nath
05-12-03, 01:32 PM
its easy m8 i did it the other day mine was a single seat and ive just fitted split seats. to get the old seats out the seat part is just 2 screws and the back part. well there are 2 black runner things im guessing u cannot get these out?? well i just popped them out with a screwdriver the whole thing comes out. and u wont need them anyway.

as for fitting the split seats... on mine at the minute i havnt fitted the bolt or woteva it is to hold the seats together. i just fitted the seats and they dont move at all! only thing is on the split seats when u fit the seat part u will notice that instead of being 2 bars to screw back on there are four (u will see when u do it) u need to use some self tap in screws to hold them down else it isnt safe if u dont! but beware because the fuel tank is behind there! so just be carefull! :wink:

ohh and one more thing! when u fit the new seats u will notice the smaller part doesnt fit down properly.. lift the seat back up and there will be a metal thing sticking up. god knows what its there for but i just hammered down and the seats fit well now :D
hope that helps! sorry about how long it is!

Philsutton
05-12-03, 01:47 PM
ive just stripped out the interior of mine, there is nothing inside apart from( well will be soon) 2 bucket seats 2 harnesses, steering wheel, pedals, gear stick an handbrake. Ive got rid of about 5kg of random wire that wasnt needed, and about 10kg of that nasty coating thats on the floor. Getting rid of weight is a cheap way of making it a little bit faster.

Beano
05-12-03, 02:05 PM
Cheers everyone! (esp jbobo) im still not sure whether I want back seats or not. I'll let the poll run for a week and then decide.

Might have a go at takin the back seats out tonight after work (in the dark :D ) so wish me luck!

How much weight do you reckon you can save in total if you fully strip out the back? Does it make a really noticeable amount of difference?

Nath
05-12-03, 02:17 PM
i took all the seats,carpets etc out of mine and just had the drivers seat. and the car seemed to be quicker and it handled totally different aswell! id go for the seats in m8 and get some rear head rests they look good on mine now. what seats u got to fit in there??