PDA

View Full Version : 1.2i - turns over but doesn't fire up!!

jamesnova
04-12-03, 06:33 PM
hey ppl.
i have a 1.2i nova. (mk2 k-reg spin, 56k miles)

a few days ago i put some octaine booster and injector cleaner (NITROX STREET LEGAL) in2 the tank. on sat night it wouldnt start n wen it did it sounded as if it woz on 3 cylinders. after a few mins it settled down n ran normally.
the same thin happened on sunday evenin wen i next started it up.

on monday mornin, the engine would turn over on the starter motor but wouldnt fire up. i called a few garages n vaux n they sed that the ignition is the problem.
the spark plugs wre replaced the week before n they had a orange coatin on them (all 4).
i changed the ht leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, coil n spark plugs (agen)
with a lil persuasion, it started up as it did on sat nite. and agen settled down after a few mins. i took it 4 a lil drive n everythin woz ok. i turned the engine off n started it up agen n it started wit no probs 1st time.

on wednesday morn it didnt start agen n just sounded like it woz on 3cylinders so i gave up. but that afternoon the car started 1st time wit no problems. it worked all nite n started every time.

this mornin it refused 2 start agen. it turned over but didnt fire up. i checked the spark plugs n they were yet agen goin orange (after just 2days!!!) there is no moisure in the leads as they have all been squirted wit WD40.
ive checked 2c if the plugs r sparkin and they only spark once wen the ignition is 1st turned on then they do not spark agen.

can ne1 please give me some idea of wot might b wrong and how it can b sorted out.

is it worth fixin this engine (56k on the clock) or would it b more cost effective 2 fit a 1.4sr engine?

its booked in 4 a service on tuesday 9th so i need 2deside asap lol

all help and advise is appriciated.

cheers ppl

jamesnova :( :(

mowgli
04-12-03, 06:47 PM
I think there is a problem with the coil

jamesnova
04-12-03, 06:51 PM
the HT leads, spark plugs, coil, dizzy cap n rotor arm have all been replaced 2days ago

Jules
04-12-03, 10:38 PM
Does it have a igniton module? A little box that sits under the coil?
If so then it might be worth replacing that.

Ben3042
04-12-03, 10:42 PM
Soundz Like wot happened to my car a little while back, untill i reved the c*nt out of it then it worked fine after that! have you tried draining the tank ect and putting new petrol in without the octane booster?

Beano
05-12-03, 10:42 AM
Same thing happened to my motorbike about 4 months ago (except it has carbs). The damn thing is still down the bottom of the garden in the same state now! :lol: