PDA

View Full Version : Sump guard

stevorally
01-12-03, 12:37 PM
I'm in the process of converting my sprint hillclimb Nova into a rally car. I am trying to find information of fitting a sumpguard. Can anyone help?

I need to know how the guard is attached to the car, does it bolt straight on or do I have to weld brackets in position first. I've tried to find info with no luck.

Thanks

Stevo

Ste_Nova
01-12-03, 12:47 PM
u got the chassie strength plate kit fitted.. that comes with sump guard mounts

stevorally
01-12-03, 02:54 PM
No I wasn't going to fit the chassis strengthening kit, how many plates from the kit would I need to fit the sump guard. Do you know if anyone sells them seperatly or with a guard?

Ste_Nova
01-12-03, 03:33 PM
http://www.able-web.co.uk/hh-ms/shop/shopimages/n0134.jpg

Sump Guard Complete 1.3 With Mountings And Bolts
Price Each: ?208.85 ex. VAT and Carriage
Product Code: N0134
Car Qty: 1

stevorally
01-12-03, 06:15 PM
Do those brackets need to be welded or just bolted to the car?

Is this an HH part code?

Ste_Nova
01-12-03, 06:31 PM
i would expect welded.... but fronts look like they may bolt to the tie bar mounts

yes its a HH part

nova_rally
03-12-03, 07:47 PM
Do people honsetly pay that for a bit of aluminium thats been bent!?

Cheaper version:

Road Sign (mine cost ?7 from a scrappie, it was a no overtaking 1!)

I had my gatrage fit it which ment cutting it 2 shape, bending it and welding brackets to it. Also had strips running the length of the guard to stop it bending under impact. Garage bill was ?40

Worked a treat - my sumps still in 1 piece! Although on the rally a rock (hit head on at about 40MPH) bent the mounts casuing the guard to drop practically to the floor!

(That was on a Mazda 121, with the guard attchached to the front towing loops!)

Alan

CP
03-12-03, 11:07 PM
Colin Smith had a Pilbeam 1 fitted that also incorporated modded tie bars and stuff(I think) Is that the same as what you show Ste? Colin Smith said it was very good but very pricey

James1
04-12-03, 09:06 AM
Just reading this post and had to lol when nova_rally came along. I cannot believe this bloke acutally does rallying. I now that when i used to do it we went down some of the roughest army tracks that they could find and we had a sump guard 6mm thick. How he can use a road sign is out of the question unless he does about 5mph down the track so then he's not trying very hard.

BigRuss
05-12-03, 01:42 AM
I agree with James, nova_rally what sort of rallying do you do? My sumpguard is 6mm thick alloy with alloy strengthening braces and steel mounting brackets similar to the HH item.

The gravel spec sump guard is 10mm thick, a road sign :o offers practically no protection at all :!:

A sump guard also acts as a lower strut/chassis brace providing ridgidity to the chassis legs etc....

Ben
05-12-03, 04:38 AM
I have noticed a few Sump guards on www.motorsportdirect.co.uk from time to time. Worth emailing Iain and asking.

RJM25R
05-12-03, 08:52 AM
SUMP GUARD IS STILL LISTED AT VAUXHALL..... YOU COULD GET ONE AND HAVE IT COPIED IN THICKER PLATE PERHAPS???

nova_rally
05-12-03, 02:23 PM
Road Rallying - North Wales style. The sumpguard works fine - took 60mph down a gravel track with some extreme potholes very well. (napped a couple of rivets holding one of the bracing strips but thats all) There were 2 whites on that event (whites = the gravel track parts) 1 went over Rhiw - which isnt even a road, its a public fottpath and was extremely rough, that was limited to about 20Mph because theres no road to follow and we had to follow arrows! The second was the above mentioned 60Mph track.

After the mounts were dmaged the guard was dropped to 2 inches off the ground - scraped along level tarmac roads and it's still attached to the car.
Its quite safe to say that if we had not had that sup guard there would be no exhaust left on the car!

I'm pretty doubful that the Nova's going to live up to the Mazda's performance, but at least it'll have a roll cage If I smash it! :wink:

(out of 9 Novas on the event, only 2 Finshed ahead of us, and they were GTEs, the rest were modified 1400s, 1300s and a 1200. None of which were standard production class, which my mazda was)

Alan