PDA

View Full Version : Burning OIL

crazygav
30-11-03, 05:29 PM
hello i have a 1.2 an have been away for a while when i returned i topped my car to full with oil my the end of a two week period i had no oil i have no leaks cause it would show my garage floor whats happening to me old lads????????
cheers :!:

Alex
30-11-03, 06:24 PM
you have an oil thief :lol:

What colour is your exhaust gas? you can usually tell if your burning that much coil by the colour.

roblings
01-12-03, 11:36 AM
I turned my 1.3 SR into bit of an oil burner by thrashing it after it'd been sat about for a while. Had to top it up every month or so. It might well be burning oil. Check the exhaust gas for blue smoke, especially when its cold or when you boot it.

Ste_Nova
01-12-03, 11:50 AM
don't get worried till you are putting a liter a day in like i was :lol:

Dan_Dan_The_Nova_Man
04-12-03, 02:13 PM
I had a Golf that got me to the pub (20mins) away and the oil warning lamp came on, it had burnt nearly all its oil, i had topped it up before i set of. Now thats burning oil!!!

Alex
04-12-03, 03:23 PM
yeah, dont worry until you get to that stage, and smoke is pouring out of the exhaust

mowgli
04-12-03, 06:44 PM
get a compression test done first.
also if it smokes, get it up to speed, and then take your foot right off the throttle. if it really smokes them, the valve seals are tatered, head off job...

take the cambelt cover off, and if there is loads of oil inside it, the cam seal is leaking. usually this is caused by too much crankcase pressure caused by the breather being blocked, they can be cleaned, but are gits to get off.

maybe the oil just needed changing, if you are driving hard, change it every 3000miles

epo
08-12-03, 09:33 PM
i think ive knakered works van up its on a v reg and it pisses blue smoke out
its a merc vito :oops:
theres only me and 1 other lad who drives it he drive it nice i tend 2 boot it