PDA

View Full Version : anoyin problem!

chappers1.3
28-11-03, 10:39 AM
for the last week or so the car aint been runnin too well. It works fine for about 8miles then goes mental and sort of missfires constantly and i cant put any power down. when it starts I have to stop and turn the engine off and wait 4 about 2mins before it goes back to normal, then it starts again a few miles later. I have asked a few people, they say it might be crap in ma tank gettin sucked into ma carb of somethin. do you lot have any idea?
think i should get a new carb?

cheers

chappers

Ste_Nova
28-11-03, 10:51 AM
carb icing

chappers1.3
28-11-03, 11:02 AM
is there any way to stop it?
I have the standard dishpan airfilter on it.

Ste_Nova
28-11-03, 11:16 AM
see if the flap in the intake is working

rgv_stu
28-11-03, 11:52 AM
def. carb icing

chappers1.3
28-11-03, 11:57 AM
right, i had a look in the intake part and there is a flap with a spring attached, hows this suppost to work? is the flap suppot to be loose or not?

chappers

rgv_stu
28-11-03, 03:11 PM
when the car is running / idling the vacumn will pull the flap up sucking in hot air. disconnect the little pipe and see if the flap moves should drop to the cold position. if there is no vacumn then you wont suck hot air and the carb will ice up

chappers1.3
28-11-03, 03:17 PM
i'll give it a go. nice 1. the only thing is aint u suppost to be putting cold air into the system because its denser, i.e. cold air feeds?

cheers anyway

Philsutton
28-11-03, 03:28 PM
i'll give it a go. nice 1. the only thing is aint u suppost to be putting cold air into the system because its denser, i.e. cold air feeds?

cheers anyway

that is true, but when during the winter you want to be doing the opposite or the car will run like sh*t. That will only work when the weather is hot.

Nath
28-11-03, 03:48 PM
could be your distributor or rotary arm! give em a check sounds like what mine was doing and that was my problem!

roblings
29-11-03, 12:17 PM
Just to put a different spin on the problem..

My 1.3 SR had the same prob. Had it in the garage + they changed fuel pump, cleaned fuel lines + tank, cleaned + stripped carb + everythin else with no solution. Then it turned out to be the coil breaking down + a new one fixed it!

If its carb icing it'll only happen when its pretty cold.

Rob

Barn
29-11-03, 12:48 PM
happened to me this morning....what a bastard when you got a get somewhere on time!

there's a hill you have to get up by me to get onto the main road....pulled out on to the hill, car nearly stalled, had to keep dippin the clutch and rev it like hell all the way up.

annoying to say the least.

it went then tho after about ten minutes

Adam Moran
29-11-03, 11:44 PM
mine does the same thing.

Going to check the carb tomorrow and the dizzy cap.

i guess the only way round it is to let it warm up for 5 mins before you drive off :wink:

Ad

chappers1.3
01-12-03, 10:09 AM
cheers fellas, the prob is sorted now. it was that little flap thing. somehow it jammed itsself in the cold air position!

works fine now though. Nice 1