PDA

View Full Version : The rebuild so far!!

BigRuss
27-11-03, 11:35 PM
Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to update everyone on the rebuild :D

The new front upper panel was welded on last week :D

New wings fitted today and lined up pretty good :o

Roof skin was cut off last week :o New one (Fibreglass :twisted: ) arrived Yesterday and is much better than I thought it would be. You'll never tell the difference from the outside once it gets painted.

Will put some new photos on My feature in the next day or so, waiting for verification at present on updated spec.

Will
28-11-03, 11:47 AM
fibreglass roof!! :o :o

Phil GTE
28-11-03, 12:15 PM
Hi, where did you get the roof skin from? Thanks.

Jon_nova1
28-11-03, 12:44 PM
yeah how much was it and how easy is it to fit

BigRuss
28-11-03, 09:24 PM
Magnum Motorsport, ?141 delivered to the house. Quite easy to fit too actually

My mate and I cut the old damaged roof skin off using a mallet and a sharp panel bolster :o , leaving about 15 - 20mm excess all the way around. Once the new skin arrived We used a grinder to trim back the bits that were in the way untill it sat perfectly in place. The only thing to do now is actually bond it in place, either going to use proper panel bonding or Windscreen bonding - depending on price.

This means I now have a fibreglass roof, bonnet, tailgate + tailgate spoiler, perspex windows and Kevlar doors on order. Going to get Her on to a weighbridge when it's all finished to see how heavy/light it actually is.

Russell

ade
28-11-03, 11:47 PM
fibreglass roof? wont the body flex or is there a roll cage in it?

BigRuss
28-11-03, 11:56 PM
It's got a pukka multipoint weld in cage with front triangulation, Safety devices did My shell originally.

jkhilton
29-11-03, 12:33 AM
Kevlar doors!!!! you'll be called on by the american government for the presidents private transport next time he is here!! bulletproof nova!!! :D :D :lol:

Alex
29-11-03, 12:39 AM
there only about 5kg a door from what ive heard

Ben
29-11-03, 04:48 AM
Sounds good.

A guy i know has a wide arch nova weighing about 500kgs with a C20 XE on 48mm TB's :lol:

BigRuss
29-11-03, 12:00 PM
I had a pair of carbon fibre doors which were only 3.5kg's each, I'm hoping the Kevlar ones are the same. I don't mean to start a debate but I don't see how a nova can weigh 500kg's. A friend of mine has a stripped out mini with fibreglass panels, a cage and a 2.0 16v Vauxhall engine and box which weighs 620kg's.

I,m hoping to get mine down to about 700 - 750 kg's.

Barn
29-11-03, 01:04 PM
mate your cars gunna be well sorted when its done!

good effort.

Russ is it the guy that has it turbo'd aswell?britsh racing green?

atb

pickle
29-11-03, 03:21 PM
good job you car isnt up my way today russ. its windy as fuck it would blow away with the wind. russ what would happen if u hit a tree? would it crumple right up worse than a standard nova, being so light and all?

BigRuss
29-11-03, 05:36 PM
No, as I said earlier it has a weld in multipoint cage which is tied in at all four suspension pick up points. The strength is in that not the panels. Proper rallycross cars have got less steel on them than I've got. They have plastic rear quarters as well :o

BigRuss
05-12-03, 08:56 PM
The roof is now bonded on and is pukka :D

The car is now ready for paint but I've overspent on New AP brakes and Xmas is coming after all :roll:

Going to put the new panels and the repairs into primer next week, got a rally Dec 28th so will have to do it with bits of the car in primer :oops:

But look at it from the other competitors point of view, would You enjoy being beaten by a car which is two tone Glacier white and grey primer :lol:

Will paint the entire car once My Kevlar doors arrive in January :D
My plate is now on the car as well J16 NOV :D

ianofbhills
06-12-03, 02:43 AM
any details on the kevlar doors aswell please chap?

like price and where abouts you ordered from, what mods are needed to fit etc

thanks

beatin u
06-12-03, 05:08 PM
yeah any prices on the doors????

what about fiber glass doors where can i get them? should be cheeper ? :)

ianofbhills
15-12-03, 12:49 PM
up

anyone know about the doors?