PDA

View Full Version : what d'y'all reckon?

CP
26-11-03, 12:17 PM
Am getting fed up with the Pug 306 TD the missus drives - think she is a bit too. I think its heading for some largish bills - the clutch/gear change is getting stiff-it needs a cambelt/idler pulley change - new tyres - some of the shockers are noisy and its got a weird tick tick noise in the dash that i think maybe electrical etc plus she dropped milk in it and you know what thats like :roll: :lol:

Soooo what to do? Choices?:

1. Fix it and run it into the ground -take it biatch and like it :lol:
2. Trade in against 2nd hand car out of the paper
3. Trade in against new on the good ol nevernever finance.

2nd hand? - if i could swing it I fancy a scooby or a civic type R but she might rumble me plus they are relatively pricey to run re: insurance tax fuel tyres and spares if they break. Got to be well mannered and easy for a girlie to drive and park. :?

New? well I will never spend over ?10K on a car (excepting my 1.2 Nova project :lol: :lol: in joke :roll: ) so that limits things abit plus if I go new I would be keen on getting the running costs right back. Have been impressed with the Clio 1.2 Sports I've been in - cheap on fuel, tyres, tax, ins. etc and go bloody well for what they are. The finance deals on these are about the best I've heard of. I've never owned new b4 :(

Views?

And kindly leave out comments about room in the boot for my zimmer frame and wheel chair access! :lol:

Ben
26-11-03, 12:21 PM
I would go for a second hand car around 1-2 years old even if you still go for the Clio afterall why would want a brand new car after all you live on a farm etc and i think people get a bit protective over brand new cars better off with one already with a tiny little scratch etc.

Ste_Nova
26-11-03, 12:52 PM
has to be a diesel?

Nath
26-11-03, 12:52 PM
go for a pug 406 or 406 coupe. about 7grand my dad paid for his and its a W reg! 2.0 turbo diesal. and wow does it shift!

Dpnova
26-11-03, 12:59 PM
I agree get one a couple of years old.

Stuart
26-11-03, 04:52 PM
get an omega :D you can get all your elderly needs in there lol

peester
26-11-03, 06:29 PM
V6 vectra.

Stanton
26-11-03, 06:34 PM
id get a big old skool barge, old 5 bimmer or better still carlton 3000 24v

not easy to park but, quick, cheap and.....

very very sideways

:lol:

benji
26-11-03, 06:41 PM
don't old people drive rovers??

Tilly
26-11-03, 07:56 PM
perhaps the new X8 or The new astra

so1o
26-11-03, 10:07 PM
How about you ask your missus what she wants? Why not both choose something and come to a compromise, im right in thinking shes going to be driving it more often right?

CP
26-11-03, 11:03 PM
ask my missus :?: wtf does she know about cars :roll: lol :lol:

very perceptive of you Solo - I can see you are going to succeed in life and love

so1o
27-11-03, 12:26 AM
lmfao, resident agony aunt eh CP :lol:

?Marty?
27-11-03, 04:46 AM
DONT ask the missus, BUT use some psychological tactics to make her think that it was HER decision. lol

DONT buy a brand new car, get one a year or two old. Let someone else bear the cost of depreciation, which is the greatest in the first few years.

MY RECOMMENDATION (and a possible exception to the never buy new) is the new mini (also available as a diesel, if that's important). Finance is VERY good, and i BET your missus would love it too. Also, the reason for it being an exception to the never buy new, is because they hold their value VERY well. In fact, some much sought after models fetch more secondhand than brand new, due to the long waiting lists.

so1o
27-11-03, 11:00 AM
I agree with Marty, Mini's are fantastic. I've had a play with a few in my valver and boy do these Mini's fly plus my mate had one for the last couple of days and he loved it to, handling is second to none.

Dont buy a new car as Marty said not worth it, deapprecation hits hard in the first few years, buy a car a couple of years old, btw Im pretty sure the Mini does cost more second hand then new.

BTW I reckon the Audi S3's are brilliant, you gotta love the leather recaro buckets in them, 2 of my mates have them and love them but up to you at the ned of the day.

Solo