PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviations/poor spelling

CP
25-11-03, 11:17 PM
Since when has it been a site rule to only use " appropriate " spelling and abbreviations?

Who exactly decides what is and isnt appropriate?

I dont remember anyone being nominated as the final arbiter on this?

If someones style is to type in some bad boy lingo with bad spelling/incomprehensible text abbreviations then why not?

If you dont like it, ignore it.

What are we - part of the Mary Whitehouse fan club now? :roll:
I'm the only 1 old enough to be a grumpy old man on here :P

:lol:

Slatter
25-11-03, 11:20 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark
26-11-03, 12:25 AM
*Great, CP the last person I need an arguement with*

Well CP, personally I find it very difficult to actually understand some of these 'bad' posts, it is not just a 'dislike' of how they are written.

We all make spelling mistakes, that is part of who we are, but intentional spelling mistakes, letter dropping and text typing on a site for 'everyone' to read is just plain rude.

As for just ignoring it, that is extreamly difficult to do as you end up either reading one post many times to understand it or just skipping it alltogether, which is pretty pointless as it could be useful information you are missing.

From another personal point of view, I am slightly Dyslexic (and yes I had to spell check that) and it is bad enough trying to read a post without screwing my head up by 'playing' with the words in a post..

Kowalski
26-11-03, 12:59 AM
Well said CP. Your a smart man. I got in an argument with a dude over this yesterday he got all offended by someones spelling and became aggressive.

Its cool now though.

?Marty?
26-11-03, 03:54 AM
As aggressive as one can get with pixels.

There has been lots of posts complaining about 'text' grammer and etc.

Sometimes it pisses me off, sometimes i use a little of it myself.

We all have the right to freedom of speach and the right to form opinions, which does include negative one's, in which case Ben and Cambridge (and others) have a right to say that it pisses them off and they dont like it, but unfortunately (or fortunately, depending onhow you look at it) there is nothing that can be done, as otherwise it is censorship of one of our human rights.

After all, there are no rules in the conditions of 'membership' about the use of correct or incorrect grammer. If text talk or other forms of 'slang' CAN be called 'incorrect grammer', for it is simply evolution in communication, and in the times of instant gratification that we live in now, seems more likely to be predominant over 'proper' english.

BUT, then there IS such a thing as consideration. It MAY be inconsiderate to use it in a community, where it is still the minority form of communication, but abbreviations ARE part and parcel of the internet.

Look at the emoticons so widely used as an example! And the whole WTF, LOL, LMAO phrasebook. Unacceptable forms of communication?

Then of course, i do like writing shit and/or arguing just for the sake of it.

Ben
26-11-03, 03:54 AM
Who got agressive, and how would you be able to tell through a PC somebodys emotions.

My old annoyance with the topic is, if people cant be bothered to type correctly why should we bother to read it and the fact i know of at least 8-10 people on hear that struggle to read it.

CP
26-11-03, 08:27 AM
I fully accept the critiscm (sp) of incomprehensible writing in posts and its fine to have a moan about it, which has been done.

What seemed to me to be wrong was that Elgans post on here about his car was hijacked wayoff topic in places over it.

Really the argument ended up being more disruptive than the poor quality post that triggered it :?:

Jim
26-11-03, 09:22 AM
I posted a message a few weeks ago about spelling and grammer and upset a few people and the post was locked.

I think people missed the jist of what I was saying...

If it's difficult for people to read, then the person who posted in the first place asking for help might not get the help that they need because people can't understand what it is their asking for.

People are entitled to "speed type", but people like me (who only got a few moments to look on the site) usually speed read. From now on, if I can't understand a post I will ignore it, but at the end of the day, I may have experienced the problems/situation that they are in and I may have the answer, but can not understand what it is their going on about.

Jim

P.S. I agree about posts being hyjacked...this needs to stop!

Will F
26-11-03, 10:29 AM
What offset are TSW Venoms?

:lol:

Seriuosly though, I am with the majority on this one. I dont have a problem with abbreviations etc, but one after another in a paragraph is frustrating and can get annoying.

Thats my 2p.

so1o
26-11-03, 11:00 AM
I basically agree with everyone, its up to the individual person how he/she types. TBH it is hard reading some of the posts because some of the typing, "txt" is really really bad, spelling mistakes, grammar etc dont matter but "txt" typing and to much of it will put people of.

Now that this has become an issue and has been for quite some time its up to the person how they type, everyone knows a lot of people will choose to miss out a post if its not written properly but thats down to the individual whos written it. TBH if i need help I try and write the post as clear and in proper english as i can because i want help from everyone not just the people who can be bothered to read it.

Solo

Nova-Flair
26-11-03, 12:58 PM
i personally side with corsanova on this one. at the end of the day it is a fair assumption that all the members on this site can read and write in a 'proper' manner so when certain members are using nothing but 'txt typing' in their posts it just seems to me like they are just being lazy and at the end of the day it just means that members such as myself, corsanova, ben, cambridge etc........ have to put twice as much effort into reading them which isnt on.

dont get me wrong i have no bother with using abbreviations the odd time but when the post isnt nothing but its just annoying and frustrating to me :!:

scott.

p.s i realise i was one of the ones responsible for hyjacking elgans post and i apologise but i felt i had to make my point at the time.

Tilly
26-11-03, 08:02 PM
or is it cause they are bad boyz aighhhhhhhhhhhh.

On a sewrious note yes im sure we all abreviate stuff, but there is a limit a whole post doesn't need to be set out in this manner. I'm with CP, JIM, and Ben on this.

olly55
29-11-03, 10:21 AM
thank u cp for clearing this up, just as i said people can type as they wish if people dnt like it den they shudnt read it,

cheers m8

gud to see not everyone can be tarred wit hthe same brush,

tilyl grwo up darlin i dnt type the way i do coz i fink im a bad boy its the way i speak / everyone round my parts chat so its 2nd nature to me

Stuart
29-11-03, 12:20 PM
not wishing to turn this into a slagging post but not everyone in essex speaks with a disorder lol

ive ranted time and again with regards to txt typing, and now i cant be arsed to whinge. type like it and i wont reply to you, simlpe really :D

?Marty?
29-11-03, 05:27 PM
i dnt type the way i do coz i fink im a bad boy its the way i speak / everyone round my parts chat so its 2nd nature to me

Are you steven hawking?

epo
29-11-03, 05:32 PM
i dnt type the way i do coz i fink im a bad boy its the way i speak / everyone round my parts chat so its 2nd nature to me

so does that mean everyone round your area aint got a clue what you or anyone else is on about

srs1
29-11-03, 06:57 PM
it is up to everyone to type how they want. if you cant read it the first time then it aint worth helping.

the scenario is, we all have gone to school and i dont know of anyone who got a gcse in english text lit or lang. so there are no reason that you cant do it. if you cant be bothered to write your post properly, then dont expect anyone to help you!

olly55
30-11-03, 10:35 AM
once again marty n co have nowt else to say but try n cuss sum1 down, cambridge do u kno many people from my area of essex? or even kno where in essex i live? NO? then dnt generalise n try n cuss me,

lashed nova off this site is nr me he knows wat im on about,

srs1 u made a good point its up to the person whosbehind the keyboard to decide how they wanna type if people cant or wont read it then so be it but y moan even more about it?

if u say u wnt read it or help me then opk but wen i type liek it y kick up n moan its a controdiction on ur part.#

srs1
30-11-03, 11:57 AM
cause i can.
now put your handbag down. i put what i thought and that is it. end of story. :D

?Marty?
30-11-03, 01:34 PM
can't be arsed reading any of that garbage.

dave.gsi
30-11-03, 01:35 PM
^^^^^ditto

same old same old