PDA

View Full Version : Rear Disc Conversion

Paul
25-11-03, 05:48 PM
Me and my mate (Matt Lidon) are going to be doing a rear disc converison within the next month.

Just wondering, what is the cheapest way to do it?

The rear beams 2 astra/cav ones and discs and 2 nova ones so nova's don't come off the road, bout 160 for that lot. inc pads n discs etc.

Getting beam welded up 30 the pair or so.

Two M-tech kits 200

Thats nearly 200 each.

Is there a cheaper way of doing it?

Cheers Paul

Ben
25-11-03, 06:05 PM
This comes up quite often and i was asking about it last week, The general opinion is the kit to convert it is a waste of money.

This is the pricing i worked on...

Nova rear beam- free (got about 9)

Astra GTE rear beam- Free

Welding- Free (mates doing it)

All i have to work out is the way of mounting the astra rears onto the nova beam and should be ok, have got a nova and astra handbrake cable to fiddle with and see wich is easier to use.

I a building it up off the car the just swapping the completed beam for the old one when its finished.

Paul
25-11-03, 06:10 PM
Yeh that is what i was thinking of doing Ben,

Have you got 2 rear nova beams and 2 astra ones for sale?

And why is the kit a waste of money, is'nt it compulsory?

I dont particularly want to take my car off the road agen, mates fdoing an XE, and i just want them for looks.

SO i know u can probs do it for free, but prices for me wud be nice.

I haven't got mates dat wud doo welding or 9 nova rear beams or astra rear beam. :D

Cheers

Ben
25-11-03, 06:17 PM
I have loads of Nova beams but only 1 astra one.

For the cost of petrol getting here you could probably get nova beam from a scrap yard for a tenner.

I think the only part of the kit needed is the mounting plates wich are two pieces of metal and dont warrant ?100 each.

Paul
25-11-03, 06:19 PM
So where else can u get these plates from Ben?

Yeh probably won't warrant the petrol. Does it HAVE to be astra 16v gte rear beams, or could u use, cav ones?

Cheers Paul

Ben
25-11-03, 06:24 PM
You can use...

Astra GTE/GSi
Cavalier GSi etc
Calibra

You dont even need the whole beam but you do need the complete stub axle, apprently you can use any rear discs as long as the bracket for the handbrake is there (like on the ones above)

Paul
25-11-03, 06:28 PM
Guesstimate on how much the rear beams will be and nova ones.

And what do you do about the plates if the kit isnt worth it, can anybody supllty any on here?

Like people supply the engine mounts?

Ben
25-11-03, 06:35 PM
I think Rick can get the plates but unsure, he normally replies if he can get them at the time.

The Nova rear beam should be ?5-10 as no one ever wants them, might have to remove yourself but its only 2 bolts and the struts to undo.

I would sell a complete astra rear beam for ?30-50 dependent on brakes etc.

Check MIG for sale there are loads of atra GTE's being broken on there.

Paul
25-11-03, 06:37 PM
IS it generally hard to do? ANd any idea on price of welding, approx.

Want it done for under 100 if possible...

beatin u
25-11-03, 10:13 PM
as long as you change the stub axle bolt pattern to suit the astra/cav one then you won't need any plates.

I used the plates from a cavy axle 'cos then the new stub axle bolt pattern was on the axle and i could drill the holes through the nova part of the beem using the cav plate as a template sort of.........im crap at explaining this :|

basicaly if you look at the disc setup and stub axle you'll see they wont fit straight onto the nova so then drill the nova axle to make them fit...... :P :lol:

Slatter
25-11-03, 11:33 PM
ive got 2 astra gte rear beams for sale - 50 quid each !

fearless
26-11-03, 12:35 AM
Word of advise !!!

Modify the nova handbrake cable to fit - ie. extend the short cable using threaded bar

Why - because if u modify the handbrake to use astra handbrake cables and mod the handbrake lever to accept the cable - u will find the 'feel' to the handbrake is 'spongy' and difficult to lock the rear brakes up

When I did my first conversion many many years ago (one of the first ones) I used astra 16v cables - and although would hold the car on a hill - wouldn't allow the rear brakes to lock up (neccessary to get u out of sticky situations !!!!). I converted the cables back to nova set up and hey presto - sideways whenever I wanted !!!

Dave
26-11-03, 10:21 AM
i cheated i brought one off phat sr!
i can take some pics of what's been done to the rear axle to convet the stub's if anyone wants them, just let me know
all i've got to do is change the nova beam that the rear discs use though as it's a bit bent then work out how to get the nova handbrake cable to fit then jobs a gooden!

NovaNeil
26-11-03, 12:25 PM
Just received my M-Tech Conversion kit yestaday. Will take a photo of it and post it to show you what you get. Theres a lot of fiddley little Handbrake bits guides and things. And two Plates as mentioned before. For ?100 it does seem a little dear, but for doing it quickly and easily in not much time (and if your lazy like me :D ) it looks a pretty good option. Also if you don't know what your doing its good as it has full step by step instructions.

Ben
26-11-03, 12:28 PM
Neil scan the instructions in :lol:

jim sri
26-11-03, 02:30 PM
its no way worth the amount charged for the kits! as white-nova mentioned, he has my old one, i think he paid 50 for it iirc-which is basically what the cost of the nova beam, cav sri beam (only needed the stub axles/discs/calipers) cost me. the reason his needs re-doing is because mine was rushed, and the beam was not removed to do the conversion (i strongly recommend removing it-lol!).
there's a guide on novaload somewhere how to do it, and the handbrake mod isnt too difficult either.

Rick Draper
26-11-03, 03:04 PM
Neil i just hope the Mtech plates for the rear beam fit better than there F28 mounting kit! Rick

Paul
26-11-03, 05:14 PM
can anybody else recommend where to get these kits from for less than ?100, could anybody remanufacture some?

And slatter 80 for the pair, we'll collect?

Stanton
26-11-03, 05:30 PM
ive got one nova gte beam and one astra gte beam 4 sale.

ne 1 interested?

djp_y2k
26-11-03, 06:09 PM
Ive got a set of astra 16 rear disks hubs etc

My beam that is on the car.

What I have gehtered is u remove the drums. Grind off the mounting brakets, weld the new ones into place and then bolt on the rear disks.

The mounting brakets are a peice of piss to make if u know anything about engineering or can use a lathe and mill.

They seriously take about 1/2 hour to make.

I made mine, but a garage near me had a load made up.

THink they are around ?20- ?30 but not entirely sure.

I know its alot better than the ?70 or ?80 odd quid that courtney charge.

If u are interested in the brakets let me know and I will find out some more details.

dan16v
26-11-03, 10:13 PM
can some one flog me the astra disk set up please ie the disk/drum part i dont need the calipers as ive already got them!
dont want the abs model ones either

Ben
27-11-03, 03:51 AM
Dan thought you had that Cav GSi rear beam ?

dan16v
28-11-03, 10:58 PM
i did ben but it was an abs model so i realy need the std set up if poss :D

i need the whole set up - part from calipers :D any one got one please?!
dan

Slatter
29-11-03, 08:58 AM
lashed did you get my pm ????????

45 quid per back axel .... seems a fair price !!!

Lets me know

Slatter