PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 8v for my nova?

elgan
25-11-03, 05:43 PM
my uncle offered me one today

had a full rebuild 3 year ago, not been used since

its as new

i cant refuse it, but it has no box and no fuelling system

my idea is to twin carb it, (my nova is carb at the moment), to avoid injection and ecu's etc

and run it with a f16c (close ratio?) box

i quite fancy trying a small turbo conversion on it, say using an rst turbo?
it is possible to turbo a carb'd motor isnt it?

to run the turbo on carb's woul di need such a thing as a boost retard?

any advice would be most appreciated

the original idea was to fit a stock corsa gsi lump ,box and runing gear but this all sounds like more fun

also, am i rite in thinking .. 1.6 mk2 cav big block inners and nova gte outers for shafts?

Fester
25-11-03, 05:48 PM
theres no point using it in naturally aspirated form (IMO!) its a big block and something 115bhp?

Turbo conversion would be very interesting though!

Ben
25-11-03, 05:55 PM
I wouldnt imagine it being worthwhile as its a Big block engine and not even a very good one at that.

You might as well go for the C20 XE if your going big block or try and saty small block and turbo one of thos.

elgan
25-11-03, 05:56 PM
its just general chat at the moment

i duno if it matters but its out of a cav or astra sri, he did say, i cant remember

its got a reciept ofr 400 quids worth of bottom end work, and it hasnt been run yet.

its just in his way i think

Ben
25-11-03, 06:01 PM
Your adding a lot of weight for about 5-6 BHP gain from the 1.6 16v you are talking about, i think that the 16v would respond much better to simple or extensive mods than the 1.8 8v.

CP
25-11-03, 06:05 PM
I moved it if you dont mind - no criticsm just reckon better in here.

I would prolly flog it to someone who needed a replacement -its not really very desirable cos its a lot of weight for not much power

As you say a turbo conversion would be interesting.

or NOS? quick easy and a whole lot cheaper?

elgan
25-11-03, 06:33 PM
we'll this is the thing

its as good as brand new, and its all lightened and balanced.

it would be tidy just on some twin carbs, but i'd like to make it intresting by adding a turbo.

as long as i could get a tidy box to go onto the carbs to take the boost pressure, a turbo, pipework, someone to do the flanges on the manifold, intercooler, boost retard system, and get it all setup, would i be more or less there?

Ben
25-11-03, 06:39 PM
The 1600 16v is good for 200+ BHP with serious mods, wich you are considering doing on the 1.8 8 as well.

And i cant see much more than that for the 1.8 and parts will be harder to come buy as there arent many modded ones about, and you will always have the extra weight.

elgan
25-11-03, 07:15 PM
i like diy and trying diff things

Gunzi
26-11-03, 11:31 AM
Then go for it, I don't know of many novas with a 1.8 8v engine, on twin carbs! most go for 1.6 or 2.0 l blocks.