PDA

View Full Version : Safety and Welding

Barn
24-11-03, 11:37 PM
orite lads/lasses

my car failed its MOT about 2 months ago. needed a lot of welding to be done to it. I weighed up the costs and decided to get the work done rather than get a new car and new insurance policy. I'm at the stage now that the work has been done but then I took it for an MOT today and it failed again :cry: and needs more welding.

- nearside front chassis holed within 30cm of load bearing point
- offside rear lower inner wing holed within 30cm of load bearing point

its costing me another ?150 to get it done

sorry for being long winded but I was basically wondering will my car be safe with all this welding that has been done to it? and will it last i.e. is it worth thinking long-term plans for the car?

thanks

CP
25-11-03, 10:58 PM
Is it safe?

We cant tell but so long as its been done OK and passes the MOT it'll prolly be OK

Will it last and be worth modding up etc?

A lot will depend on where its been a problem. If its certain areas that have been sorted correctly then it shud be OK. I would advise whilst its apart getting clean oil/grease daubed in behind/all around welded areas plus any other areas you find that are rusty.

All Novas are rusty to some degree - keeping up with the oiling thing will make em last abit longer but most are well thru their lives and nearly all will end up in the great rot box in the sky if they aint crashed first :(

Ste_Nova
26-11-03, 09:26 AM
i'm getting a corsa :lol:

Barn
27-11-03, 02:00 AM
Is it safe?

We cant tell but so long as its been done OK and passes the MOT it'll prolly be OK

Will it last and be worth modding up etc?

A lot will depend on where its been a problem. If its certain areas that have been sorted correctly then it shud be OK. I would advise whilst its apart getting clean oil/grease daubed in behind/all around welded areas plus any other areas you find that are rusty.

All Novas are rusty to some degree - keeping up with the oiling thing will make em last abit longer but most are well thru their lives and nearly all will end up in the great rot box in the sky if they aint crashed first :(
as much rust as possible was cut out (all that could be seen anyway) and replaced with new metal. the guy who did the work was genuine and said he cut it all back to good metal and then stone-chipped it. so that's, u know, slightly comforting! lol

?530 its taken me to get this bloody MOT, lmao!

anyway cheers mate

Barn
27-11-03, 02:01 AM
* EDIT * (Double Post)

Jon_nova1
27-11-03, 09:57 AM
i was going to say get it stone chipped or something most places just slap on a nice shiny piece of metal with no rustproofing

Dave
27-11-03, 02:43 PM
last time i did some welding on the floor of a orion i set the carpet on fire :oops:
the point is make sure it's stripped back an held in place securely of you could be lookin for a new carpet/interior aswell!

rob_wilkinson
27-11-03, 03:14 PM
most pannels on my car have needed welding but because its been a project its not been a problem as the whole car has been stripped . So long as all the rust has been ground away and good metal welded to then it wont be a problem. The more you can do, strip down areas and clean up rust where being welded to the cheaper it will be coz the mechanic wont have to piss around pulling carpets back and scraping underseal off.

Barn
27-11-03, 03:33 PM
most pannels on my car have needed welding but because its been a project its not been a problem as the whole car has been stripped . So long as all the rust has been ground away and good metal welded to then it wont be a problem.
yeh I think the guy replaced abit of the chassis at the back aswell (the bit the towing eye is bolted to) and abit under o/s floor.

thing is, a lecturer was taking the p*ss coz the areas you jack the car up on have had welding done to them and he said that he couldn't beleive that I actually drive the car around!

when he said that it put the sh*ts right up me!

do you think a chassis strengthning kit would be a good idea?

thanks again

rob_wilkinson
27-11-03, 08:46 PM
if the weldings done properly with the right gague steel, wont be a problem. ie you wont use thick steel to weld a small piece like the door locks but on something like the chassis you would use thick steel

beatin u
27-11-03, 09:44 PM
have you thought about buying a 'mig' welder and trying yourself????

?530 :o :o :o

dave.gsi
27-11-03, 11:57 PM
surely it gets to a stage where the welding gets dangerous. i mean when you start welding onto welds rather than original car youve gotta call it a day surely

Barn
28-11-03, 01:28 AM
have you thought about buying a 'mig' welder and trying yourself????

?530 :o :o :o
as a matter of fact yeh I have, but I decided to get it done properly

Jon_nova1
28-11-03, 12:31 PM
i remember when i worked at an mot place the bottom of the car needed welding, so while it was getting done i had to sit in it with an airgun and put out the fire from the paint i wasn't to worried till he said "be careful the petrol tanks right behind you, but i don't want you putting it out till the fire reaches your balls" :lol: