PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Cam Advice

Serialkilla
21-11-03, 02:18 AM
Is it possible to fit a gte cam in a 1.2 Carb engine like it states in the technical advive section??

Hope it does cause i've got one on order at ?104.

beghy
21-11-03, 02:33 PM
im sure it will fit but i dont know if the GTE camshaft have the cam for the fuel pump!

Dicko
21-11-03, 05:10 PM
it is but for that sort of money you might aswell just get a high lift cam from piper/kent!

mikeyredtop
22-11-03, 03:37 AM
the 2 gte's i had both had the lobe for fuel pump but the later gsi didnt!! which i have now

Serialkilla
23-11-03, 01:53 AM
Yer there should be a fuel lobe but the dizzy end is different to that of the 1.2 carb cam.

Piper/Kent cam kits cost in the region of ?200 and the gte cam does exactly the same.

But they did give me a big discount on piston rings ?35 instead of ?75.

Dan
23-11-03, 11:50 AM
Piper/Kent cam kits cost in the region of ?200 and the gte cam does exactly the same

Errm no they dont do 'exactly' the same otherwise the likes of a 285 piper wouldnt be available with an engine range of 1.2-1.6

Serialkilla
24-11-03, 01:48 AM
Yer it is cause its altering the valve opening, closing and the overlapping like what a piper or kent cam does.

So is there any body outthere that can answer my question?????

geordie_racer
24-11-03, 02:09 AM
your original statement, yes as long as it is a gte cam and not a late gsi one it will fit fine.

secondly yes the principles of the gte cam and aftermarket kits piper etc. are the same but they do not do the same thing to the engine, if you look at the profile and lift/duration information for a gte cam and compare it to that of say a piper 285 you will notice the profile, lift/duration of the piper is alot diffferent and generally is better but to get the most from them they generally need to be added up with other mods and not just used alone

be very careful with statements like the one you made about standard/aftermarket cams as some of the users have been on here along time and dont like being told what they no isnt true is right and if you do it about other stuff aswell will be inclined to not help you at all, this is not me having a go but if you look through the old posts there are loads of arguements between the older users and new1's and the old lot aint usually wrong

chris

Serialkilla
24-11-03, 02:20 AM
I've looked at the cam i got its a GTE, 1.4 SRI MPI 1991 cam and it does that have a fuel pump lobe or a slot for the distributor.

The bloke at A to Z autoparts ordered it up for me so he could of possibly got it wrong.

So do i need a 1990 GTE and not the 1991 cam?

geordie_racer
24-11-03, 02:32 AM
i take it you meant to say it doesnt have the lobe for the mech fuel pump? if it doesnt then just send it back and get the other one, the gte cams ive had did have the lobes but i couldnt tell you what year i got them from sorry

chris

Serialkilla
24-11-03, 02:38 AM
Yes the lobe for the mech fuel pump.

Cheers for that.

Did you have to change the dizzy or was there a slot and hole in the same end of the cam?

Ben
24-11-03, 02:38 AM
the cam i got its a GTE, 1.4 SRI MPI 1991

The GTE and the SRi cams shouldnt be the same and were not manufactured at the same time so would be hard to be the same one.

It could be that they are very similar and are sold as replacments for the same part.

?104 for a GTE cam is a lot of money, there are several decent cams for sale on the site at the moment for less than that.

You can buy a secondhand GTE cam for around ?25 with the housing and all followers etc.

As to your original question, i dont expect it is a situation many people have come across as its not a common conversion, people are only giving you the basics wich apply to all camshaft swaps. The only real way to tell will be to fit it and see what happens.

Serialkilla
24-11-03, 02:44 AM
Its a complete cam kit i got.

Someone has done it before but its trying to find out whether or not the 1.2 dizzy will fit on the end.

geordie_racer
24-11-03, 02:44 AM
the cam swaps are quite common in smaller engines ie. the 1.2 i cant remember changing the dizzy but it was awhile ago ask mikeyredtop i no he did his more recently

as stated aswell the 1.4sri cam and gte cam are different and i if thats what you've got then its wrong because im certain the sri wouldnt have a fuel pump lobe. im sure they made the gte in 89 so try and get a cam from one of them then you should be fine

chris

Serialkilla
25-11-03, 01:04 AM
i spoke to A to Z who phoned the manufacture of the cam kit. They said there is 3 different cam kits they do that will fit the 1.2 nova

Which is a 1.3 sr cam, a cam for all 1.6 engines e.g astra, cavalier and nova. with slot drive.